Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint disaster. suggestions please.
smart51

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Paint disaster. suggestions please.

I painted one of the targa panels of my car over the weekend. The colour went on well and I flatted it back nicely but when I laquered it, there was a visible sanding mark in the colour coat. No problem, I thought, I'll sand it back to remove the mark, re-laquer the area and poilish it up. Except the feathered edge round the sanded area is clearly visible through the new laquer. Do I have any choice other than to remove all the laquer and start again?

Nurburg2006

posted on 10/10/11 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Paint

Hi there, why did you need to flat your base colour? just apply the top coat direct to your base colour. Let it fully dry for at least 48 hrs flat down and start again.
I hope this helps.

smart51

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nurburg2006
why did you need to flat your base colour?

It was a small panel so I used an aerosol which left an exaggerated "gun finish" to the colour coat.

Nurburg2006

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Paint

Even with a aerosol can you don't need to flat it down just apply gentle coats and it will be fine good luck
loggyboy

posted on 10/10/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Feathered edge? As in the rough areas from sanding? If so you need to use a finer grade of wet/dry paper (1200 with water) to make it nearly perfectly smooth, then try a cuting compounds to make it perfectly smooth, then relaquer.
smart51

posted on 10/10/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Feathered edge? As in the rough areas from sanding? If so you need to use a finer grade of wet/dry paper (1200 with water) to make it nearly perfectly smooth, then try a cuting compounds to make it perfectly smooth, then relaquer.

No, not as such. I sanded 100% through the first clear coat around the area of the mark. A band around this was sanded part the way through. This is what I can see through the new clear coat. I used 400 grit to cut through most of the clear coat, then switched to 600 grit to finish it off, then 800 grit to smooth it off before recoating, all with water.

RAYLEE29

posted on 10/10/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, flat the whole thing then re colour with base then once dry laquer straight over without flatting.
the only thing you should do between base and laquer is wipe to clean (but personally only if you really have to) any sanding/flatting marks in the base will be magnified by laquer.
Ray

build diary1
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/RoadsterPics#
build diary2
http://picasaweb.google.com/raylee290/KITCARPICS?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2AouyYgpuQmAE#

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/10/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what paint you're using, but when I recently did my car with 2K (first time with a spray gun ) I was advised by the guy I got my paint from to not touch the basecoat at all, not even to check it has 'flashed' OK, then hit it with the clearcoat within an hour of the final base. Worked a treat, the first attempt came out really well (except for the odd fly here and there which I'll have to deal with once the clear has hardened completely

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.