Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help wanted how to remove a steering wheel
jacko

posted on 12/10/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Help wanted how to remove a steering wheel

Hi All
i have a Vectra C and the air bag light is on i have found out its the tape cassette in the wheel

Also dose anyone know what the date is for airbag lights to come in the MOT its not at the moment
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 12/10/11 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that the airbag light was not part of the MOT, just the ABS light.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
I was under the impression that the airbag light was not part of the MOT, just the ABS light.

Yes you are right at the moment but some time next year the airbag light comes in the mot

britishtrident

posted on 12/10/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
***** Disconnect the battery first ****** These days the steering wheel air bag is usually held on by torx screws from the reverse side of the wheel. thenthe airb bag lifts off.

You can then undo the little yello tag the locks the electrical connector plug.

Have a bid of tape handy to restrain the clock spring from unravelling

Set the steering wheel straight ahead and undo the wheel retaining nut you should find a register mark on the wheel and column if not mark both the coluum and the wheel so you can replace wheel in the correct relative position. ******* Put the nut back on two or three of turns ******then pull the wheel at one side while gently tapping with a rubber mallet******

Are you sure it is the clock spring as usually SRS lights are due to iffy connectors under the seats

[Edited on 12/10/11 by britishtrident]

jacko

posted on 12/10/11 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi BT
Yes the light goes out some times but always comes back on when i turn the wheel fully to the right.
There is one thing though my wheel is not in the middle when going straight its to the right a small amount so i was wondering if it was making the tape / spring to tight causing the light to come on
What do you think ?
Graham

rusty nuts

posted on 12/10/11 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can't remember if the Vectra is the same but on the later Corsa you need to make sure the road wheels are in the straight ahead position, disconnect the battery then remove the airbag by undoing the 2 torx screws behine the steering wheel , undo the steering wheel nut , check the wheel aligning marks are aligned then remove the wheel. To centralise the spool turn anticlockwise until you just feel resistance then turn 2.5 turn clockwise.If you look at the spool on the Vectra it may?? have instructions on centralising ?
AndyRead

posted on 12/10/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
As for the dash light for MOT

As far as I know to date!

The lights come into the MOT from January 1st, But the MOT stations can't start failing them until April 1st?

That is as it stands with VOSA at the mo!

Andy

jacko

posted on 13/10/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thank You all for the information about removing the wheel and dates for MOT,s
Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.