Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Omex on a Busa
jeffw

posted on 17/10/11 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Omex on a Busa

Probable a stupid question but is there any reason why you couldn't use an aftermarket ECU (Omex 600 in my case) on a bike engine? If I'm going to convert my car it would be much simpler if I could use the existing Omex and Dash2/DL1 setup rather than the Busa's ECU/Clocks/Wiring etc.

Eatpies99

posted on 17/10/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Im thinking of running my busa'd Vortx (building at the min) on MBE ECU. SO cant see why not mate.

Where's this washer come from????

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 17/10/11 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used an Emerald on an R1 four years ago - when I spoke to Dave Walker at Emerald he said "Oh, nobody has ever done that before...." !

It was a trial but worth the effort! We even managed to get the Emerald and DL1 / Dash 1 all talking via can bus!

Wyn

mark chandler

posted on 17/10/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I run my turbo blade engine on megasquirt, no reason not to do this Get it set up on a rolling road and should be better than factory as fully optimised.
jeffw

posted on 17/10/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Which was kinda my thoughts. If I can get it mapped on the Omex I don't need a power commander and it is mapped correctly for the intake and exhaust in the car. I wasn't sure if it was possible or not,

SeanStone

posted on 17/10/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know what you're revving to, but the omex goes up to 12750rpm
jeffw

posted on 18/10/11 at 05:06 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting, didn't know that.

BobM

posted on 18/10/11 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Which was kinda my thoughts. If I can get it mapped on the Omex I don't need a power commander and it is mapped correctly for the intake and exhaust in the car. I wasn't sure if it was possible or not,

You also won't need to worry about all the ECU related interlocks - sidestand, clutch switch, kill switch etc.

Not very Locost but very BEC

jeffw

posted on 18/10/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Which is where I was going with the idea.

However I've done some calculations using the Gear Calc and I can't get anything sensible, top end wise, using the English Axle in the car. I would need to change to a IRS car before doing a BEC which kinda does away with the idea.

Yazza54

posted on 18/10/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Probable a stupid question but is there any reason why you couldn't use an aftermarket ECU (Omex 600 in my case) on a bike engine? If I'm going to convert my car it would be much simpler if I could use the existing Omex and Dash2/DL1 setup rather than the Busa's ECU/Clocks/Wiring etc.

I always thought you were strictly a CEC man

Well done on seeing the light

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

BobM

posted on 18/10/11 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffwHowever I've done some calculations using the Gear Calc and I can't get anything sensible, top end wise, using the English Axle in the car. I would need to change to a IRS car before doing a BEC which kinda does away with the idea.

Yeah, with a Busa you'd need at least a 3.36 really - that would give you in the upper 120's mph from memory. I had a 3.14 in my Fury.

Not very Locost but very BEC

jeffw

posted on 18/10/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm kinda stuck with a 3.54 as the longest unless I change to an Atlas ,

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/10/11 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Jeff,

Not sure that the OMEX is so great for hayabusa. The existing Suzuki ECU is very clever and include lots of functionality. For example the inner and outer cylinders have their own fuel and spark maps. Also the secondary injectors and the servo controlled throttle plate will be controlled nicely by the stock ECU.

I think you'd be better off selling the OMEX, buying a power commander (which are cheap). Also you will save a pile of money on the rolling road as you will only be tweaking the map (rather than building from scratch).

Don't get me wrong, I am sure you could map it with OMEX and it would run, but my guess is that it would run more powerfully and sweeter on the stock ECU with a power commander add-on.

Matt

franky

posted on 18/10/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger, didn't know you weren't IRS.

I couldn't get a sensible ratio for a live axle car when I looked.

jeffw

posted on 18/10/11 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I could get down to 3.1 on a Atlas but that is 4" wider and heavier.

jeffw

posted on 18/10/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Jeff,

Not sure that the OMEX is so great for hayabusa. The existing Suzuki ECU is very clever and include lots of functionality. For example the inner and outer cylinders have their own fuel and spark maps. Also the secondary injectors and the servo controlled throttle plate will be controlled nicely by the stock ECU.

I think you'd be better off selling the OMEX, buying a power commander (which are cheap). Also you will save a pile of money on the rolling road as you will only be tweaking the map (rather than building from scratch).

Don't get me wrong, I am sure you could map it with OMEX and it would run, but my guess is that it would run more powerfully and sweeter on the stock ECU with a power commander add-on.

Matt

You see I look at it differently. The map on the stock ECU (with or without a power commander) will always think it is a bike. So side stand switch, kill switch, clutch switch etc etc etc plus the need to use the clocks to get the error codes and so on. At the end of the day it is an engine in a car with car like intake and exhaust and not, typically, with the ram-air that the stock ECU is expecting. I think you could get a very good map, developed for a car with out all the bike bits, within 5-6 hours on the rollers.

It isn't going to happen with my current car anyway so it is a mute point.

franky

posted on 18/10/11 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Jeff,

Matt

You see I look at it differently. The map on the stock ECU (with or without a power commander) will always think it is a bike. So side stand switch, kill switch, clutch switch etc etc etc plus the need to use the clocks to get the error codes and so on. At the end of the day it is an engine in a car with car like intake and exhaust and not, typically, with the ram-air that the stock ECU is expecting. I think you could get a very good map, developed for a car with out all the bike bits, within 5-6 hours on the rollers.

It isn't going to happen with my current car anyway so it is a mute point.

What are you thinking of doing, putting more cash into your current setup or a new car?

jeffw

posted on 19/10/11 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Well....I kinda emotionally attached to the Phoenix so it is likely that I'll tune the Zetec upto 230-250BHP. Otherwise I would go and buy something like this

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3258701.htm

Which is probable the same as the Phoenix + Zetec Tuning (or pretty close).

franky

posted on 19/10/11 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
For that power N/A would it not be worth going to a duratec and sell your motor to offset the cost? Unless you go for an blown motor which shouldn't cost too much. Does your ecu allow a full throttle shift?
jeffw

posted on 19/10/11 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
I could go for a Duratec but the cost involved to get the engine upto 250BHP would be much more than doing the same to the Zetec. The primary issue is that the exhaust exits on the other side so I would need to scrap my very expensive Powerspeed exhaust and get another one. If you add sump, bellhousing, clutch, rods/pistons/cams & inlet manifold as well as rewiring, engine mounts & RR time to the list the Duratec gets to be a £6-7K conversion to me.

I think what I will do is get a short Zetec engine (or complete one) get it bored for my hi-comp pistons + rods. Get the bottom end balanced and then transfer the head off the existing engine with much higher lift cams. The current engine runs 208BHP so, hopefully, the change of pistons/rods & cams would see that up to the 240 mark (with a reduced rev range of course).

Nick DV

posted on 19/10/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I agree Jeff. Stick with what you know and understand, and of course, are emotionally attached to! (And it's a really good car as it is!)

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.