Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Torch recommendations
richardh

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Torch recommendations

Really odd one but as darkness is setting in, anyone got any recommendations for a decent, powerful, small torch.

Time for a change!

JoelP

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
what torch very much depends on what you want to use it for. The only torch i have is a 3 led head torch, because that suits my purposes, and it was only a fiver. However, that would be no use for illuminating an area outside. For general use, a maglite or replica is not a bad bet.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

catman

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
as above, head torch if you need your hands free, if not you cant beat a maglight, they are bullet proof and come in all sizes.

HTH

Ed

caged supersix
Carbon/GRP
210 bhp silvertop
190 lbft

richardR1

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i have a couple of Maglites and the 6D cell really gives some illumination.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

scootz

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardR1
... the 6D cell really gives some illumination.

... "small" torch!

It's Evolution Baby!

Steve Hignett

posted on 22/10/11 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
I would always recommend Maglite's too. Which actually just got me thinking, is there a Locost version of a Maglite out there yet???
sdh2903

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
At work doing Aircraft inspections at night the maglites, even the LED ones, just aren't up to the job in my experience. They aren't all that bright (certainly wont illuminate the tail of the aircraft sufficiently from the ground) and they aren't as bulletproof as people make out, Ive managed to kill at least 3!

I currently use a LED lenser torch, thinks its the P11, runs off 3 AA batteries and is unbelievably bright and its been dropped from a fair height on a number of occasions and still going strong. They are quite pricey tho. (worth it in my op if using all the time, I've even managed to convince some of the tighter older generation engineers to buy one they are that good)

If just for general use at home I bought a cree led one from aldi or lidl and its excellent for occasional use.

All depends on what you want it for.

HowardB

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have "some" torches, several. 4led head torch is very useful, but single LED versions have surpassed it's performance now. I have a few maglites, they do a very LED version of the 3AA torch, excellent. However for a small torch with serious light there are some amazing torches sold at "go outdoors" - LED Lenser P7.

For serious research I would suggest a huge pot of tea, a spare day or so and read all that there is in the candlepower forum

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

adithorp

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Fenix TK11 Nice and small, fits in your pocket, will burn your retinas out and knocks spots off any Maglite. Not cheap though.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Bare

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed on the Maglights I have a collection . They were great... Years ago when new and 'better' lights. Currently they are So So Even my large multi D cell one is mediocre.

Cheap ass Led Flashlights abound, $5 will get a surprisingly good single Big square LED fitted one, that's about twice as bright as my venerable (and no longer ever used .. Maglights) I have ones stashed everywhere: in My Motos, in our cars even around the house :-)
Plus the batteries last seemingly indefinitely.

[Edited on 22/10/11 by Bare]

dave r

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
for the money, these are hard to beat
use one every day at work

click me

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

whitestu

posted on 22/10/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I have one very similar to this and they are amazing - similar output to a decent motorbike headlight: Link

Stu

[Edited on 22/10/11 by whitestu]

David Jenkins

posted on 22/10/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is what you need...
LINKY

[Edited on 22/10/11 by David Jenkins]

MkIndy7

posted on 22/10/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
£10 Tesco 2xAA torch with a Cree LED they used to be 3w but they dont seem to declare the wattage now but there very good, I one every day for work and they were raved about on Mountain Biking and gun forums a few years ago.

If you'd like to spend a little more then as mentioned before the LED Lenser range are very good.

NigeEss

posted on 22/10/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Anything with a Cree LED emitter such as the one linked by Dave R.

I've an Aurora Cree C6, about £12 from Dealextreme and recently bought
a pack of three Cree LED torches from Costco for £15.

Some take oddball batteries though, 18650's (effectively two CR123A's)

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Proby

posted on 22/10/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an LED Lenser T7 which takes 4 AAA's and is pocket sized. They are not cheap, but throw an incredible amount of light for the size. Outputs nearly 200 lumens! Wouldn't be without mine now!
Confused but excited.

posted on 22/10/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the small Lenser P4. 0.3W, uses two triple A batteries. Burn time; up to 80 hrs.
Best bit of kit I've got for a dogs age.
In total darkness it lights up half a field.
Makes my Mag light look silly.
Best of all a dead even disc of light. You don't get that with a Mag light.
I'd love the Tactical torch they do but can't justify two and a half hundred quid for a torch, even to myself.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

OX

posted on 22/10/11 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
As some one else has said the cree torch is the way forward , i now have 2 cree torches ,one with 300 lumens and one with 1300 1300 Lumens CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Flashlight Torch +CH | eBay
無標題文件

every one who see's this torch has been out and brought one ,its amazing . if you buy one and don't like it , i will buy it off you

Stott

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
£10 Tesco 2xAA torch with a Cree LED they used to be 3w but they dont seem to declare the wattage now but there very good, I one every day for work and they were raved about on Mountain Biking and gun forums a few years ago.

If you'd like to spend a little more then as mentioned before the LED Lenser range are very good.

I've got this, and got wifey the pink one. Top recommendation

Tremendous output for the size and will muller a maglite, I've got a few maglites but they stay in the drawer without batteries in them. I didn't think anyone bought them anymore.

StevieB

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've always sworn by maglites - carried 2 in my field kit when I was in the forces.

I got one of the larger ones for my Mum when she walks the dogs at night - emits loads of light and usefully heavy and batten shaped if necessary

Ninehigh

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I've always sworn by maglites - carried 2 in my field kit when I was in the forces.

I got one of the larger ones for my Mum when she walks the dogs at night - emits loads of light and usefully heavy and batten shaped if necessary

That's the point in maglites

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.