Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Bike engine for new striker build?
R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/10/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Best Bike engine for new striker build?

Having sold my last BEC in 2007, it's time for another. My last BEC was a Raw striker R1. Whats the engine of choice these days? 08 cbr1000rr looks a good choice or is the hayabusa still the daddy? It will be in another Striker chassis.

Open to ideas, a lots changed in last few years i'm sure!

Thanks

Ben.

Pat_T

posted on 23/10/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would say (as a powertrain design engineer for Triumph) that the BMW S1000rr engine is the daddy at the moment!

Engines from crashed bikes still seem to be fetching £3000 on ebay though, and getting the electronics to be happy in a car might be challenging as all the TC systems are controlled from a gyroscope!!

www.instagram.com/patroclueus

fazerruss

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pat_T
I would say (as a powertrain design engineer for Triumph) that the BMW S1000rr engine is the daddy at the moment!

Engines from crashed bikes still seem to be fetching £3000 on ebay though, and getting the electronics to be happy in a car might be challenging as all the TC systems are controlled from a gyroscope!!

Shame on you, whats wrong with going British!
My Triumph power plant works superb. I cant recommend it enough. It is fantastic on my Triumph frame, wheels. tank,seat, handle bars ect.....

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

stevebubs

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
quote:

My Triumph power plant works superb. I cant recommend it enough. It is fantastic on my Triumph frame, wheels. tank,seat, handle bars ect.....

Triple in the challenger went ok...

StevieB

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I think you pay a lot for the name with the Busa - most litre superbike engines are putting out 180bhp or more.

I've heard that the later big bang R1 units are pretty good.

If you want something a bit different, and can afford/find one, the v4 from the latest Aprilia RSV Mille would be good.

franky

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I think you pay a lot for the name with the Busa - most litre superbike engines are putting out 180bhp or more.

I've heard that the later big bang R1 units are pretty good.

If you want something a bit different, and can afford/find one, the v4 from the latest Aprilia RSV Mille would be good.

The big bang r1 units are about 20bhp down on everything else

adithorp

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
cbr1000rr seems to be the engine of choice in RGB this year. Plenty of cars been swapped over to it this year.
06 R1 works well but there's been problems with the 08 in cars and the big-bang R1 gives less but more usable power in the bike, but thats not needed in a car (so just less power).
BMW s1000rr would be a monster by all accounts if you could make it work but the electrics would be fun, but expensive.
BUSA is heavy compared to the 1000 motors and expensive and needs mods (more weight)
ZZR1400 would be my choice if going over 1000cc

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

twybrow

posted on 24/10/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
quote:

Triple in the challenger went ok...

The Daytona lump went very well in my Stuart Taylor. There is no better souding bike engine out there...!

progers

posted on 24/10/11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
cbr1000rr seems to be the engine of choice in RGB this year. Plenty of cars been swapped over to it this year.

*cough* except that the fastest car on the grid was powered by a GSXR1000

Agreed the CBR1000 (08-> ) is a good engine but the latest generation ZX10 and gixxers are just as good. Its more about getting the right gearing and things like engine height might come into the equation. All will work with wet sump too (modded for use in the car).

If the car is for road and trackdays choose what you fancy, if you intend to race look carefully at the regs of the various race series. For ultimate power ZX14 is a good bet.

- Paul

[Edited on 24/10/11 by progers]

R1 STRIKER

posted on 24/10/11 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Car will be as track focused as possible but still remaining road legal. This may require a few mods after IVA. I'm sure it will be a pig to drive on the road but that won't be it's 1st use. Having said that, I never found my old R1 powered striker that bad on the road.

So maybe a question for Andy, but what does he do differently to the striker chassis that Raw doesn't do. I assumed they were still made by the same company.

TimC

posted on 24/10/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Andy did talk me through this once. The AB version was certainly designed to take 13" rims rather than the 15s of the standard Raw track car.

The chassis was still made by the same fabrication firm but with AB's spec changes. When I last spoke with Andy about thr Striker he suggested that I buy a bar chassis with no brackets attached and then send it to him to have the suspension put on.

Phil ashton

posted on 17/5/15 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Did you ever build your S1000rr engined Bec?
I only ask as I have a couple of suitable doner engines, brand new.
I have kept one for myself and would like to find someone thinking of a similar project.
Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.