Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD: YB Cosworth Components
DixieTheKid

posted on 26/10/11 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
WTD: YB Cosworth Components

Evening peeps,

Im after a few YB parts if anyone can help me out. If you have any of the following can you post or U2U me please.

2wd thermostat housing
Water pump pulley
Bottom crankshaft pulley (not the toothed cam belt pulley)
2wd pick up pipe
Rocker cover (Standard i.e. no after market breathers etc)
Distributor

Thanks.

[Edited on 27/10/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

needforspeed

posted on 26/10/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
i presume your a member on passion ford?
gavin174

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
that must be one mean car you are building..........

if it needs a rocket cover!!!

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

DixieTheKid

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gavin174
that must be one mean car you are building..........

if it needs a rocket cover!!!

LMFAO! Better edit that typo! Nicely pointed out.

COS IT'S Worth IT

mcerd1

posted on 27/10/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
I got most of my bits from ebay - but it took ages to find ones in good condition at good prices

In the end I gave up tring to find the pickup pipe / oil pump and got new ones from graham goode (~£50 for the pickup pipe I think) - then the next week ebay was full of 2wd pickup pipes (they were mostly asking £30+ though)

whats your plan fr the engine ? run it with a turbo and stock ecu, an NA cossie or something really fancy ?

also I take it you've got the cam belt pulleys already (they are different from pinto ones)

-

john_p_b

posted on 27/10/11 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
if you want cosworth parts, Paul at north yorks rs spares is your man, if he doesn't have it then no one does! i've put his website bellow for details but my advice would be ring him as being a backwards northerner hasn't quite figured out email etc yet

http://www.cosworthrsspares.co.uk/

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

DixieTheKid

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I got most of my bits from ebay - but it took ages to find ones in good condition at good prices

In the end I gave up tring to find the pickup pipe / oil pump and got new ones from graham goode (~£50 for the pickup pipe I think) - then the next week ebay was full of 2wd pickup pipes (they were mostly asking £30+ though)

whats your plan fr the engine ? run it with a turbo and stock ecu, an NA cossie or something really fancy ?

also I take it you've got the cam belt pulleys already (they are different from pinto ones)
<--- yep got these.

Cheers mcerd, the plan is run the turbo, stage 2 setup so about 320bhp ish on L8 chipped ECU and 2wd loom, -31 actuator, green injectors, 3 bar map sensor.

Im just about to start rebuilding the block. Bores and pistons are standard and in excellent condition (205 block) so im just going to de-glaze and add a new set of rings and small end bearings. Std rods are good, crank has been lightened and balance buy previous ower so just new set of big end bearings to go in.

Standard 2wd head is going back on which is bare at the moment and needs to be skimmed, all valves, seals, springs and cams etc etc etc will be new. Will probably go for a set of fast road cams. ( not looking forward to the cost of all that lot! ).

4x4 Plenum, 4x4 manifold, RS2000 sump, new water pump, new oil pump all sat in the garage waiting to be put on.

Cheers Chris

COS IT'S Worth IT

alexg1965

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
I think I have everything you want on a YB that had one of the bottom end bearings go. The only thing I'm not sure of is the rocker cover. I know that it has been painted black from the original red but can't remember if anyone has drilled a hole for a breather. Also the distributor cap has "straight up" connections rather than the ones that come out perpendicular to the unit (if that makes sense).
I'll have a good look on Saturday and let you know for certain. The other good thing is that I'm in Verwood and work in Southampton so getting the parts to you is easy.
I'll let you ponder over the price - I was planning to strip the engine and put the bits on Ebay.
Cheers
Alex

mcerd1

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
^^ what state is the head / cams in ? (assuming DixieTheKid doesn't need them...)

-

alexg1965

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think the head is OK. From memory the cams were OK (but it's a long time since I looked at them). As I said before, the problem was at the bottom end. If I'm removing the rocker cover, I should get a better idea.
john_p_b

posted on 27/10/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid

Standard 2wd head is going back on which is bare at the moment and needs to be skimmed, all valves, seals, springs and cams etc etc etc will be new. Will probably go for a set of fast road cams. ( not looking forward to the cost of all that lot! ).

Cheers Chris

just my 2 pence worth but leave the cams standard. the standard cams are good for up to 400bhp, a change of inlet cam would give you a little more top end but i've found it to make things rather laggy (BD14) and anyone i've ever known change an exhaust cam unless going for mega power has always ended up going back to the standard cam as they just make the engine aweful in lower revs.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

DixieTheKid

posted on 27/10/11 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexg1965
I think I have everything you want on a YB that had one of the bottom end bearings go. The only thing I'm not sure of is the rocker cover. I know that it has been painted black from the original red but can't remember if anyone has drilled a hole for a breather. Also the distributor cap has "straight up" connections rather than the ones that come out perpendicular to the unit (if that makes sense).
I'll have a good look on Saturday and let you know for certain. The other good thing is that I'm in Verwood and work in Southampton so getting the parts to you is easy.
I'll let you ponder over the price - I was planning to strip the engine and put the bits on Ebay.
Cheers
Alex

Do you want to sell the whole lump if so how much, u2u me? Merd you get 1st refusal on any parts you need if he does?

COS IT'S Worth IT

DixieTheKid

posted on 27/10/11 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john_p_b
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid

Cheers Chris

just my 2 pence worth but leave the cams standard. the standard cams are good for up to 400bhp, a change of inlet cam would give you a little more top end but i've found it to make things rather laggy (BD14) and anyone i've ever known change an exhaust cam unless going for mega power has always ended up going back to the standard cam as they just make the engine aweful in lower revs.

Thanks for the advise I didnt realise that. I thought that they were good for about 350bhp, 400 is more than enough. Result.... More beer tokens

[Edited on 27/10/11 by DixieTheKid]

COS IT'S Worth IT

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.