Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 17th edition electrical regs for an engineer
andrew-theasby

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
17th edition electrical regs for an engineer

Hi, not been on here for a few months due to moving house and diy, and now facing redundancy soon, I'm after a bit of advice as im sure some of you will do the job I'd like to get into. I'm currently a fitter at BAE systems and as there isn't a great deal of fabrication jobs out there I think I'd like to go down the route of maintenance fitting. I can't find any courses to make me more employable from an engineering point of view without taking a year or more so I was wondering about doing the 17th edition electrical regs one, not to become am electrician but to give me a bit more knowledge and try and stand out above the other fitters being laid of by my company applying for the same type of jobs. Does anyone have any experience of this, how worth while it might be, any other suggestions? Thanks
franky

posted on 27/10/11 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
The 17th edition is only a days course as all it really is designed to do is teach you where to reference things in the 17th edition book and cover changes to the previous version.
andrew-theasby

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, the course I'm looking at is 3 days with an exam at the end, its called city and guilds 2382
franky

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew-theasby
Hi, the course I'm looking at is 3 days with an exam at the end, its called city and guilds 2382

A city and guilds 2391 would be a good one to do. it's reckoned 80% of sparks don't have it so would put you in a good position.

lsdweb

posted on 27/10/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
2382 is known as the 17th edition - it demonstrates an understanding of the 17th Edition - BS 7671 - it's an open book exam and not difficult - http://www.cityandguilds.com/45758.html

2392 and 2391 are inspection and testing - 2391 is the harder.

Note all these exams are due for a revamp following the release of the first amendment to the 17th edition.

U2U also sent.

Regards

Wyn

SeanStone

posted on 27/10/11 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
lots have 17th but far fewer have it with 2391. you could try looking into oil and gas, it's booming at present
Stott

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
The 17th edition is only a days course as all it really is designed to do is teach you where to reference things in the 17th edition book and cover changes to the previous version.

As stated this is assuming you are 16th qualified.

If you have no prior then the 17th is IIRC 3 days now, it used to be a week when it was 16th.

It's not difficult, as long as you have an understanding of installations so you can decipher the terminoligy in the book, it's a qualification in being able to recognise when an installation falls under the regs and therefore which parts are applicable and then how to find those sections in the book. It's not a requirement to know any of the book parrot fasion.

Inspection & Test are more difficult, they have a poor pass rate, something like 27% pass. I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you have a more thorough knowledge of electrics or it might be a tad frustrating to say the least.

Good luck!

HTH
Stott

andrew-theasby

posted on 27/10/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
All very helpful comments thanks, I'm going to call in at the place tomorrow and se what they say and also I've borrowed the book now so started reading that too.
Lsdweb, u2u replied. Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.