Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R/c fuel in a petrol road car
steve m

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
R/c fuel in a petrol road car

Dont worry, it was only a thought!!

I was having a tidy up in the garage the other day, and came across 2 5ltr of 5% rc plane fuel, that i probably wont use
and wondered what would happen if i stuck it (not all at the same time!!) in my 7 's fuel tank, and ran my xflow on it

Any one know ??

Steve

jossey

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
afj

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
ok in a diesel

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tegwin

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
RC fuel has some pretty nasty chemicals in it.... I suspect it would bugger up seals/injectors etc..

Anyway, it would be better in a diesel I suspect...(as thats how most RC engines work!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Doofus

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Smoke, like a moped, with oil in there too.
blakep82

send it my way need some for the boat i bought a year ago, and still haven't finished...
along with some fuel pipe, and a servo box if you have any other bits laying about

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Neville Jones

Your RC fuel will be methanol with 5% nitro-methane, and anywhere between 30% and 20% caster oil(for the two stroke engines). These days the caster will most likely be a synthetic substitute.

2.5 Litres of that in a 30 litre tank won't do any harm, but for the caster oil making it smell and maybe a little smoke.

DON'T DO IT IF YOU HAVE A CATALYST.

We used to run a similar brew in the sprint cars, leaving out the caster, and adding <1% Castrol M. When things got competitive, the nitro tin would 'spill', and end up with up to 25%, for a bit more oomph.

Cheers,
Nev.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
RC fuel has some pretty nasty chemicals in it.... I suspect it would bugger up seals/injectors etc..

Anyway, it would be better in a diesel I suspect...(as thats how most RC engines work!)

Very few model engines are diesels these days, the majority are glow engines which is what the OP's fuel is for. The diesels use ether based fuel (i.e. the stuff in EasyStart aerosols), and you have to adjust the compression ratio to just the right point to get them running properly.

dhutch

posted on 10/11/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Very few model engines are diesels these days, the majority are glow engines which is what the OP's fuel is for.

Glow enginers are a form of compresion ignition semi-diesal.
- Methonol isnt very like either petrol or diesal, sort of nether really. urrrrm.
- It burns well squirted out of a garden/parts sparyer with a lighter held infront.

Daniel

flak monkey

posted on 10/11/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
We used to stick old stuff in our lawn mower Made it start easy.

As has already been said, its mostly methanol, something around the equivalent of 120 octane. Wont do any damage in small dilutions.

Either that or use it for lighting fires...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

rf900rush

posted on 10/11/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think Top fuel dragsters use it.
Methonal is the main part.
One other thing is the air fuel ratio is way different. So much bigger jets.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 10/11/11 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
We put a bottle in my mates old Metro. Apart from a slight smell, there was no noticeable change in performance, until he did a handbrake turn, and the wheel fell off!
whitestu

posted on 10/11/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
As Flak says, its great for starting things that don't want to start - a quick squirt in the intake and away you go.
MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/11 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:

Very few model engines are diesels these days, the majority are glow engines which is what the OP's fuel is for.

Glow enginers are a form of compresion ignition semi-diesal.

They don't work with a glow plug, so can't be a true compression ignition engine.

locoR1

posted on 10/11/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Remember a mate putting it in his Kawasaki AR50 (Yes i know it was a long time ago) he must of put quite a lot in because after a quick thrash up the road he turned the ignition off and it kept running can only assume the plug must of been glowing

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

SteveWalker

posted on 10/11/11 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I think Top fuel dragsters use it.
Methonal is the main part.
One other thing is the air fuel ratio is way different. So much bigger jets.

Up to 90% Nitromethane/10% Methanol for top fuellers!

rf900rush

posted on 11/11/11 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Originally posted by rf900rush
I think Top fuel dragsters use it. Methonal is the main part. One other thing is the air fuel ratio is way different. So much bigger jets.

Woops
Did not realise the ratios are the reverse to top fueler's.

Rc planes use from 0% up.
Most normal/sport flying use between 5 and 10% nitro.
I think RC cars use a bit more nitro.

Just had a google on top fueler's. 1.7:1 fuel ratio, and 4 litres / second ouch! (LINK)

Oddified

posted on 11/11/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Model cars use to use up to 60% nitro, but now they're generally on 16 or 25% (costs/health/environment issues).

Many years ago i tried to run a bike on 25% model car fuel, straight no petrol. It didn't run properly at all, but even so it had more power than the clutch could take!.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.