Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stainless exhaust manifold
b14wrc

posted on 12/11/11 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless exhaust manifold

Hi all,

Just thought I would post some small progress, as you can see the newly fitted out garage is being used. Actually could do with painting again already!

Bought a stainless tubular manifold last weekend, hoping this will release a few extra horses. When it comes to turbos, does equal length actually help? I ask because I missed out on a really nice one, it sold cheap but was a prototype and hadn't been tested. I am aiming for around 300bhp at the end of the day, so hope this helps.

Gear box is coming on, but I think where I tried splitting it the other month to check the cogs I havn't got it sealed well enough, leaking a bit and it's empty.

Any tips or suggestions on how to seal it better, it won't come fully apart - re earlier posts.

Going to spray it silver, but has been a right pain to clean, casting is rough in places!

Going to paint floor soon too.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

skodaman

posted on 12/11/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nah it's all too clean. I still think that
's your kitchen.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 12/11/11 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not many turbo manifolds are equal length so I wouldn't worry about that much.

With the manifold that you have my only concern would be the angle at which some of the primaries point into the turbo (i.e. at 90 degrees) which may not take maximal advantage of the gas momentum. It might be that it won't make boost quite as quickly as a design that points all the exhaust into the turbo with no sharp turns.

But, in reality this is the random musing of someone who has only read a couple books on it and has only ever built a single manifold.

I suspect your car will not be power limited!

Matt

sorens2

posted on 13/11/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Epual length is not your biggest consern here.
The basic design of the manifold is not very good.
Cyl. 2 & 4 joins the collector in a 90 deg. angle.
Not good as the airflow in the collector i quite critical.
You need to get the gasses velocity as high as possible and as straight as possible into the turbo.

It will certainly support 300 HP but it could have been made so much better.

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AntonUK

posted on 13/11/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry too Much about the Sharp angle have a look at these manifolds, I have seen all of the with 200 bhp plus from a 1293cc a series

http://www.turbo-mini.com/23373/index.html

[Edited on 13/11/11 by AntonUK]

[Edited on 13/11/11 by AntonUK]

b14wrc

posted on 15/11/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments, in actual fact the original manifold does the same thing, only cylinder 1 points straight down, so at least i have improvement there. The pipe is much smoother on the inside too, so that should help get the gases out quick.

I bought the manifold as my standard one has a couple of major cracks in it! Which is a common fault.

My manifold looks loads more flow friendly than the mini one, thanks for the link.

Gear box is nearly all keyed up and cleaned, hoping to get it painted at the weekend.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.