Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: idea for attaching cycle wings
rodgling

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
idea for attaching cycle wings

I want my cycle wings to be secure, to not have visible bolts, and to be detachable...

The plan is to get 4 x flat steel bar about as long as the wing is wide and (say) 10 mm wide, then weld some studs to them (say 2-3 per bar). Then bond the bar to the wing using sikaflex, and then simply bolt the wing onto the brackets.

In theory this should be just as secure as bonding them straight onto the brackets, but will mean they are easily removable without exposing the bolt heads. The twisting force of doing up / undoing the nuts won't damage the sikaflex because the studs will be located by the bracket they are bolted through so won't be able to turn, being all welded into a single piece.

Has anyone tried this?

Doofus

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I glassed 4 Bighead studs onto each cycle wing which is similar to what you are saying.
One thing I'd do different is to glass nuts next time.

Having the studs pointing towards each other slightly (because of the radius of the wing) means you have to bend the two arms of the stay together to get them off.

Maybe sikaflex would be easier as the bar you are talking about would flex and allow you to get the wing off. On the other hand it may break the PU after a number of removals.

I'd tap the bar or weld some nuts on, so you unbolt from the underneath...

Had my studs been PUd on, I'm sure they'd have come off by now, due to the frexing reason above.

Paul.

designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just glue them on.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
welderman

posted on 1/12/11 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just use sikaflex. Sticks like poo to a shovel

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

steve m

posted on 1/12/11 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I araldited my wings on to the flat bar, and left them in position overnight to go off
Next day whipped the whole lot off the car and layed fiberglass sheet over the bar, thus sandwiching the metal bar between fiberglass

7500 miles later, there still attached, with no problems YET

Steve

v8kid

posted on 1/12/11 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Enough detail?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.