Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the deal with Blu ray dvds?
coozer

posted on 24/12/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the deal with Blu ray dvds?

I've been looking a t some blu ray titles, got a few lined for the morn and am a bit perplexed at the pricing...

I dont mind paying a bit more than a regular one but I keep thinking the price hike is due to having all the different formats in the box.

I dont want triple play where the normal dvd is in the box, if I did I'd buy it! I'm buying blu ray one to play in my blu ray player!

Are we being ripped off here???

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Proby

posted on 24/12/11 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Could not agree more, we as consumers are being totally ripped off! What a scam!
Ninehigh

posted on 24/12/11 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I suppose it would be useful in a case such as ours where it would take a week to wrestle the playstation downstairs, whereas the dvd could be played anywhere... Depends how much you want the bluray version and if you can find the bluray only pack

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/12/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
isn't it a mechanism to justify paying a lot more for something which is probably only marginally more expensive to produce?

It is anoying.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jollygreengiant

posted on 24/12/11 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
A Blue-ray disc usually has a lot more (extras, deleted scenes, alternate plots, producers/directors comentaries, etc) on it than a DVD, however I buy a DVD to watch 'THE FILM', sometimes the extras are ok (like bloopers, etc), but to be honest I just want 'THE FILM', NOT some pretentious 'oh we did it this way because.......' what ever.

I have (as of yesterday) just bought my first blue-ray player an LG BD650 from asda for £40, purely because :-

a/ I wanted a DVD player with USB connection to link to the HDTV I just moved up to our bedroom so that I could watch down loaded programmes IF I wanted to.

and

b/ the price.

Other than that I shall continue to by DVD's at the 'right' price rather than pay through the nose for something that I DON'T want or need.

Blue ray is owned and promoted by the Sony dorporation and therefore it is in their interests to promote and push this format onto people who to are degree conditioned by advertising that it is a 'Must Have' when clearly it is not.

Just my 2p's worth.

JGG

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Humbug

posted on 24/12/11 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
We upgraded to an LED HD TV a few months ago from an old fashioned CRT type. A month or so ago we bought a blu-ray home cinema system to replace an old DVD player. I got a blu-ray Bourne trilogy set for £20 which seems quite reasonable. I wouldn't bother buying a blu-ray+DVD in the same pack over a blu-ray only unless it was really a film I was likely to want to watch in one of the other rooms with a DVD only. Having said that, the blu-ray player plays normal DVDs in pretty good quality and until the price comes down I think I would only buy blu-ray versions for action type movies; for comedies, etc. DVD is plenty good enough (IMHO, before I get shot down!)

[Edited on 24.12.2011 by Humbug]

westf27

posted on 24/12/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
its a bit like having some furniture made and being sold all the crap bits and sawdust

ashg

posted on 24/12/11 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
i only buy blue rays now. but they are loads cheaper if you buy them online. the advantage of the ones that have the dvd in the box also means you can play the dvd in the car if you have kids.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

beagley

posted on 24/12/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
We upgraded to an LED HD TV a few months ago from an old fashioned CRT type. A month or so ago we bought a blu-ray home cinema system to replace an old DVD player. I got a blu-ray Bourne trilogy set for £20 which seems quite reasonable. I wouldn't bother buying a blu-ray+DVD in the same pack over a blu-ray only unless it was really a film I was likely to want to watch in one of the other rooms with a DVD only. Having said that, the blu-ray player plays normal DVDs in pretty good quality and until the price comes down I think I would only buy blu-ray versions for action type movies; for comedies, etc. DVD is plenty good enough (IMHO, before I get shot down!)

[Edited on 24.12.2011 by Humbug]

I have a hard time buying blu-ray DVDs too. I did spend the extra money to get the full 1080p and the blu-ray player so buying regular DVDs with my setup is like putting a Rover v8 in your locosts and then using 50 year old cross ply tyres. Still be a fun drive, but you've paid for the extra oomph and you're not using it.

Bourne movies are great, as are the Transformers, Star Trek, etc... For Blu-ray

Music and Lyrics........ That's a regular DVD purchase

Beags

PS: Buy them online, it's quite a bit cheaper.

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.