Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What do we think of the iPad?
smart51

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
What do we think of the iPad?

The missus has suggested we should get one. Prices from £400 are a bit steep - you could get a decent laptop for that - but everyone I know who has them loves them. Mostly it will be used for web browsing when the the PC is busy, plus showing photos and videos to family. What is the locostbuilders consensus on them?

daniel mason

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
there is loads of apple haters on here but i love mine! especially with all the great apps you can get!

afj

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Love mine. Got the first iPad 32gb wifi.

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

balidey

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion.... fantastic bit of kit, but waaaay over priced and I got bored after a couple of minutes. I don't own one (just had a play with someone elses), and after a few minutes use I know I will never bother getting one. Not much long term appeal.
But everyone that has one will go to great lengths to tell you how amazing they are. Thats the bit that gets boring after a while. Guy at work starts and I start to yawn.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

r1_pete

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on your requirements.

Decide what you want it to do, look what the various devices can do, and buy what meets your needs.

[Edited on 28/12/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 28/12/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
best app on them is the inbuilt scales.
Just pop it on the floor, step onto it and gives you not only your weight but your body mass index.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

lewis

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I love apple products but can't see the point in the iPad it's the same as a I phone but you can't make phone calls on it it's not a laptop and has none of the features of one it's a expensive way of doing a 1/4 of the things you can do with a normal laptop.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

eddie99

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Love it, I've got the ipad 1 wifi smallest model...
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tomgregory2000

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
i dont have one as i cant afford one but i would have one

a friend has one and i love it, so simple to use

Proby

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends on what you want to do with it. OP said web browsing and photo viewing, and for that the iPad is perfect. It's not cheap, but well built and a dream to use. I was never an apple fan, but after 12 months of my iPad, I would not be without it. It lives in the living room and gets used by all the family, whether it's web browsing, tv guide apps, YouTube, forum browsing, email, kids playing games on it, it would be dearly missed!
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 28/12/11 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I love mine, just a wifi model, but as well as the usual reasons, surfing, email, apps etc, I found it changes the way you use the Internet.

With a laptop you tend to use it for hours because it takes ages to start up and shutdown. With the iPad I find myself picking it up for a specific reason and then communicating with the family again... Switch on, switch off instantly.

Oh and one of the best apps is IMDB

mark.s

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
good lady bought one 4/5 weeks ago and loves it (and the kids) they are big money but if you do want to sell,
keep the box and bits and they are still worth strong money second hand , also think im right in saying that the ipad 3 comes out in feb so you might want to hold out, i dont think you will regret it ....good luck

afj

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
good lady bought one 4/5 weeks ago and loves it (and the kids) they are big money but if you do want to sell,
keep the box and bits and they are still worth strong money second hand , also think im right in saying that the ipad 3 comes out in feb so you might want to hold out, i dont think you will regret it ....good luck

That's the only problem, you are always waiting for the next one, I wanted a iPhone when they first came out but then I heard about the new one so waited,I'm still waiting. As said above I can press the button on the iPad look something up and switch it off in less time than my dell takes to boot up

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

David Jenkins

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter-in-law has one - I think that they are amazingly clever and very good at what they do. However, I am not willing to pay the 'Apple Premium' price for it.

I was in Currys today, and played with the tablets on display while my wife was sorting something out with customer service. Many of them were very good - there are a lot of other 'fondle-slabs' available that do almost the same as the iPad, for £200 - £300 less.

But, for too many people, they're just not iPads...

[Edited on 28/12/11 by David Jenkins]

D Beddows

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
My Dad just bought a 32gb iPad 2...... at first I didn't want to have a go because I thought I'd need one afterwards...........but no, it's just a big version of my works iPhone and I don't exactly love that. If you're in no way computer geeky and don't care about flash then it's truly amazing - if you want to know what your computer/tablet is doing, want to customise it for how you want to use it OR use any web site that uses flash (and this truly kills it for me) then move away from the iPad.......
mark.s

posted on 28/12/11 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by afj
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s

That's the only problem, you are always waiting for the next one, I wanted a iPhone when they first came out but then I heard about the new one so waited,I'm still waiting. As said above I can press the button on the iPad look something up and switch it off in less time than my dell takes to boot up

thats why im still stuck with my 3gs iphone , im definatly having the iphone 5 ...i am

Tiger Super Six

posted on 28/12/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Personally Android does everything better, easier to manipulate files, photos, music etc and for half the price. Also you can connect an external hard drive etc. Just think the iPhone and iPad layout is old and cluncky now (using my work iPhone 4 compared to my personal HTC), so will def not get my cash over an alternative tablet.

Mark

Tiger Avon

probablyleon

posted on 29/12/11 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super Six
Personally Android does everything better, easier to manipulate files, photos, music etc and for half the price. Also you can connect an external hard drive etc. Just think the iPhone and iPad layout is old and cluncky now (using my work iPhone 4 compared to my personal HTC), so will def not get my cash over an alternative tablet.

Here we go again

Car/tech analogy...

iPad / iPhone = Porsche; performs magnificently in pretty much every way, elegant, understated design, and its the multitude of well conceived 'under the bonnet' little tweaks and refinements (that the manufacturer doesn't talk about) that makes the end-user experience that little bit more smooth, functional and special. Pay the premium.

Android = Nissan Skyline (with £20k worth of 'stuff' bolted on to it). On paper it will probably have more bhp, and the ability to immediately adjust the afr @ 7450rpm from the laptop on the passenger seat blah blah blah (and maybe even some blue lights underneath). Ideal, and probably lots of fun for those who are into this kind of stuff but a bit of a disappointment and a pain in the arse to those of us that just want to 'use' (as opposed to noodle about with rooting and 'cool' themes etc)

Benzine

posted on 29/12/11 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
iPad / iPhone = Porsche

quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
Android = Nissan Skyline

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
probablyleon

posted on 29/12/11 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
ahem... not exactly the images I had in mind
bobinspain

posted on 29/12/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
This page puts me in mind of the Golf ad' campaign on tv, even though the psychology's reversed:

"If you listen very carefully, it sounds just like a Golf."

'If you check the aps' carefully, it performs just like an iPad.'

The only difference being that the Golf ad' sells its subject on price, which the iPad can't do.

hughpinder

posted on 29/12/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
To me, the iPad is nothing in itself - its supposed to be a 'transparent' device- it just does a job and that job is to get access to the apps/internet/email. Android pads allow you to do more customising/updating/changing/fiddling with the device itself ..... The car analagy is a good one in a way. The iPad is like a tintop that just allows you to drive from A to B, the android etc more like a scratch built kit car. 99% of the population just want to get from A to B so buy a tintop,e ven though you pay a lot more for similar performance.

Personally, I'd just get one - of you don't like it you'll get about 75% of your money back on ebay, which can't be said for anything else.
Regards
Hugh

Simon

posted on 29/12/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Gadget Show were talking about the forthcoming Kindle Fire? which will be half the price of the Apple.

On the subject of Apple, my youngest wanted a shuffle for Xmas, couldn't get one anywhere, even went to the Apple shop in T/Wells. "Would you like a Nano instead?" No twathead I said a shuffle. Went to Argos and bought a couple of Creative Zen MP3 players. So impressed went back and bought two more for me and the wife.

Re the Porsche/Nissan analogy, at the end of the day, the Porsche gets pissed all over by the GTR, it carries two less people, less luggage, is less practical than the GTR and most people think you're a twat

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 29/12/11 by Simon]

Marcus

posted on 29/12/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm holding out for an iPad 3, an android tab just can't hack what I want to do. Theres nothing in the Android world like garage band....Ok there is, but you try plugging a MIDI device into it and it will all but crash (if you can find a MIDI interface for one). All the music production apps for Android seem to be loop based, the i device ones are real time recording with no slop (lag). I plug my electric guitar in to Garage band / Ampkit or Amplitube to get real time effects vie an I rig adaptor and my keyboard in via a line 6 midi adaptor. This is all using my iPod touch, the output gets mixed with PC sounds and it doesn't get much better. People use these for live performances, nothing running Android gets even close. I don't yet own an iPad, but the extra real estate of the larger screen will see me coughing up for a 3 as soon as it's out.

Just my opinion

Oh and by the way, I don't like the iphone, I use an HTC Android device, far better as an actual phone!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

zilspeed

posted on 30/12/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
If I had the spare wedge, I'd have one in a momemt.

I've just got my first iphone after a couple of years of convincing myself that my old Symbian Nokia was every bit as good.

How wrong was I.

Stuff just works.

I wouldn't have it as a replacement for a laptop, but as a device to do stuff and the iphone is great. The ipad can only be more of the same.

Yes, I'm now a fan.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.