Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Supercharger rebuild
ChrisW

posted on 29/12/11 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Supercharger rebuild

I have an M62 supercharger kit for my MR2 which I'm planning on fitting 'over the winter'. However, it was bought knowing that it had a noisey bearing and came with a full rebuild kit with new bearings, oil, etc.

However, I'm not sure if I want to take on the rebuild myself and am thinking it would be more sensible to pay someone who knows what they're doing to overhaul it for me. ie strip down, inspect, fit new bearings, etc. Also tell me (honestly!) if there is anything else that needs doing whilst it's apart.

Can anyone recommend a company that can do this for me?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 29/12/11 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/479367/1993-pontiac-bonneville/page-2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD-DvN7HO8M

These may give you enough confidence to have a go yourself

ATB

Simon

ChrisW

posted on 29/12/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... at first glance, that doesn't look that difficult. Perhaps more research is required. I guess I'm just a bit scared by it as the 'charger was expensive and I don't want to screw it up!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 29/12/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
You just need to be careful not to scratch the surfaces that's all they are pretty simple bits of kit.

Make sure you have a really good charge cooler BTW

froggy

posted on 29/12/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
if its got the clutched pulley its easy just dont lose any of the shims behind the clutch drive plate

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

ianjenn

posted on 29/12/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have serviced the M62 myself changing all of the bearings. The back ones are easy to do, as unbolting the front section allows the turbines to be withdrawn. Thebearing in the clutch is also an easy replacement.

the hard bearings are the ones at the front which require the two drive cogs to be removed. These are just pressed in place but are an incredibly tight tolerance and I ended up going to a garage to borrow the use of their 50ton press to get them back on.

but the process is straight forward

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/12/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
all good info. I have an M62 to do myself

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ChrisW

posted on 29/12/11 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Tempted to have a go at it myself now.

It's not got a chargecooler unfortunatly - one of the limitations of the kit I have - but apparently I should expect to gain 100bhp at 6psi which I'm happy with. The stock V6 lump quick enough as it is really, this is just so I can really scare myself!

Chris

My gaff my rules

NS Dev

posted on 31/12/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
You can always water inject it if space is tight for the charge cooler. This is what I am doingon another project ( for myself) using multi hole fuel injectors

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ChrisW

posted on 1/1/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
You can always water inject it if space is tight for the charge cooler. This is what I am doingon another project ( for myself) using multi hole fuel injectors

Indeed, I might give that a go at a later date. What I've read seems to suggest that it's ok at 6psi, but that's the upper limit for the charge temperatures. If I want more power at a later date I'll investigate things like water injection, or maybe nitrous.

Chris

My gaff my rules

snakebelly

posted on 30/1/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Also just bought an M62 Kompressor with electric clutch, anyone recomend a source for replacement bearings etc? thinking ill do a rebuild anyway as a learning experience before it goes on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.