Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC coolant hoses - show me your setup
DRCorsa

posted on 1/1/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
BEC coolant hoses - show me your setup

Hello to everybody and my best wishes for a Happy New Year to all!
I would like to have a look at your coolant hose setup of your BEC.
I am preparing my engine to operate and i would like to have a general picture for how should i connect my engine to the radiator.
Did you use silicone or cheaper rubber hoses? What did you use to connect different hoses (alloy connectors?) that could not be one piece? Any T-pieces required, elbows, bends etc?
In case your engine has an oil heat exchanger how did you connect the small hose of the exchanger to the larger main coolant hose?
How did you connect the small diameter hoses of the expansion tank to the main large hose?
And who is your hose supplier?
Thanks in advance!

adithorp

posted on 1/1/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
First welcome to the mad house.
What engine are you using?
I used silicone hoses but there's no good reason not to use standard rubber. Silocone were just easier to locate inthe required shapes and sizes. I made up link pipes in copper with soldered bends and connectors. Easy to.do
not as pretty as purpose mader andy welded ally.

Ps. Add your rough location to your profile. Someone local might be able to let you see thier car.

[Edited on 1/1/12 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DRCorsa

posted on 1/1/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks!
The engine is an MV Agusta F4 1000.. i know this is a difficult journey.. but hopegully an interesting one.
Do you have any pics of your engine bay to have a look?

HappyFather

posted on 1/1/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hello!

My pics and description of tasks are from putting pipes on a CBR900 (Fireblade) carb'ed engine.
I used rubber hoses. They were provided by Aries Motorsport, from whom I bought the kit.

All the pipes and 1st steps connecting them: http://happyblade.blogspot.com/2011/06/beginning-pipework.html
Header tank fitted: http://happyblade.blogspot.com/2011/07/rear-brake-calipers-and-more-pipes.html
Type of braces used: http://happyblade.blogspot.com/2011/07/water-pipes-and-bulkhead.html
Connecting pipes to radiator: http://happyblade.blogspot.com/2011/09/refrigeration-circuit-done-and-other.html

Note on the last link that I have a housing for a water temp sender. This sender is wired into the loom and will provide info for the dash (and control the radiator fan). I believe this is optional, but its lack will force you to have a dash mounted switch to control manually the radiator fan when you "sense" the water's temp may be getting high. With all the risks associated with manually controlling things...

Have fun! It's a wonderful journey...
HappyFather

SausageArm

posted on 1/1/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Here's how i plumbed up my ZX10R

Silicon hoses, hose joiners, reducers bought from ebay

During fitting

All finished, slightly different setup here as i have a second water pump feeding a second boot mounted radiator, but you get the idea

DRCorsa

posted on 2/1/12 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help guys!
@SausageArm
Are these silicon hoses flexible enough to bend without crimping?
I ask because in the second pic i only see some straight lengths of hoses, while on the car setup there are some really tight bends.

SausageArm

posted on 2/1/12 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I found it depends on the diameter of the hose and also how many layers (ply) it's made up of.

Eg. the 2ply hoses bend a lot better than the 4 ply or the 10mm diameter bends better than the 40mm.

DRCorsa

posted on 2/1/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks!
Could you tell me how you connected small diameter hoses to large diameter ones? For example the connection of the header tank's bottom hose to the main coolant hose. Did you use an alloy t-piece? Do you have any pics of this connection?

[Edited on 2/1/12 by DRCorsa]

DRCorsa

posted on 2/1/12 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have made a quick sketch of my setup. Do you think it's the right thing?
As for the header tank, i cannot see why it should have 2 inlet hoses, i have included only one inlet connected to radiator top overflow hose, one outlet at the bottom connected to the main hose (water pump side) and one overflow outlet ont he cap.
What do you think of the designed setup?

SausageArm

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRCorsa
Could you tell me how you connected small diameter hoses to large diameter ones? For example the connection of the header tank's bottom hose to the main coolant hose. Did you use an alloy t-piece? Do you have any pics of this connection?

I used a self sealing hose take off, which comes in a kit like this

i've not got a photo of my actual hose but this is one i found online showing how it looks once it has been fitted

SausageArm

posted on 2/1/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRCorsa
I have made a quick sketch of my setup. Do you think it's the right thing?
As for the header tank, i cannot see why it should have 2 inlet hoses, i have included only one inlet connected to radiator top overflow hose, one outlet at the bottom connected to the main hose (water pump side) and one overflow outlet ont he cap.

I think your design looks ok, but do you not have a small hose coming from your thermostat housing?

I've labelled up my engine bay in the photo below, so you know what each hose is connected to.

[Edited on 2/1/12 by SausageArm]

DRCorsa

posted on 3/1/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that!
No, there is no extra hose on the thermostat housing on my engine.

DRCorsa

posted on 22/1/12 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi again mates,

Could you please tell me how exactly do you bleed your cooling system?
I am using the VW302 radiaror (popular in BECs) and there is no bleeding points on it.
Can i bleed the system by having the header tank cap off, running the engine up to temp and then waiting for all air be removed from the header?

[Edited on 22/1/12 by DRCorsa]

renetom

posted on 5/2/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
waterworks

Hi
this is the layout we used & works perfectly on R1 engine
I don't know if it would be suitable for yours ?
We used mostly silicone hoses.
(see sketch on our photo archive)
Good luck.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.