Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra steering column - extension and mounting
DRCorsa

posted on 3/1/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra steering column - extension and mounting

Hello and Happy New Year to everybody!
I have an issue with my Sierra steering column. First of all it's the non adjustable type (with the alloy bracket) and i wonder if this is going to work on the Roadster chassis.
Secondly i have made a probable mistake...
I have cut the column at an incorrect point. Not at the front near the rack but more rearwords, as you can see in the pictures attached. What i plan to do now is to extend the column by using a steel tube with 26mm internal diameter and 30mm external. The circular section near the point of my cut is 26mm, so i can extend it by using a piece of 30mm/26mm tube. And then i plan to mount it on the drivrer's bulkhead using a 30mm bearing, like the one in the link: http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p22815/SBPFL206+Oval+2+Bolt+Pressed+Steel+Bearing+Housing+with+30mm+insert/product_info.html

The big question is: Do you think this is a safe design (since the welding will be safe and strong anyway), or am i playing cards with the devil?
I hope i won't need to buy a new steering column..

whitestu

posted on 3/1/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
If I'm understanding correctly I ccan't see why you would have a problem. My MK column is just extended with a pirce of tube welded on to the Sierra column.

Stu

DRCorsa

posted on 3/1/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
If I'm understanding correctly I ccan't see why you would have a problem. My MK column is just extended with a pirce of tube welded on to the Sierra column.

Stu

Hi Stu,
Yes, the normal practise is to extend the column by cutting it and welding a tube over it. But i think that i have cut the column at its collapsible part (you see the triangle section covered by white plastic inside). Would this be a problem?

rusty nuts

posted on 3/1/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
As you say you have cut the collapsable section of the column . IMHO I doubt if it would pass IVA if any repair was spotted during the test
DRCorsa

posted on 3/1/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
As you say you have cut the collapsable section of the column . IMHO I doubt if it would pass IVA if any repair was spotted during the test

Yes, i have cut the collapsible part of the column but the column will remain collapsible after welding the extension tube! The inside triangular shaped tube will still be movable in the occasion of a collision, is that right?

[Edited on 3/1/12 by DRCorsa]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.