Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie to kit cars. A few questions!
pond

posted on 4/1/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie to kit cars. A few questions!

Hello,

I think I am a 'petrol head'!

For the past few years, whenever I got the urge for a summer toy, I would buy a motorbike.

After one season I would realise that it was not used enough, that I am getting too old and sensible for bikes and would sell it on.

Next year the same thing would happen.

Well, because of the above and that I have built myself a brand new 48m2 garage, I think the time has come to try a kit car!!

I have looked into buying a kit and building one, but I think as an introduction I will buy a completed one and see how I get on!!! I want a '7ish' type, preferably with Zetec engine or pinto at a push, not bike power.

My question is: where to find cars? I have found a few on Pistonheads, Fleabay and the odd one in classified sections on sites like this, but is there nowhere else?

As of yesterday I have found around 6 Tigers (which is what I think I will get as I live around the corner from them which may be useful), 5 MKs, a smattering of others, Robin Hoods etc but not much else.

Is it the time of year, or am I missing something?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

PS If anyone has a yellow Tiger Avon (or similar) with Racing Dynamic pro 1.2 15" black wheels, 2.0l zetec running carbs and adjustable suspension, on the road and tested, I'm all ears!!!

Cheers
Andy (Pond)

lewis

posted on 4/1/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's the time of year mate,I would only consider selling at this time if I was desperate as it does affect the sale price,there are plenty to choose from out there and it's a buyers market atm so looks around and test drive a few/go for some passenger rides etc you won't go far wrong with a MK or tiger,depends on budget MNR are
Kit car mags have classified ads too don't forget. Lewis.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 4/1/12 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Time of year buddy - slim pickings till spring really. best time to buy is autumn i've always found, when people are selliing off before xmas.

I could always be tempted if the price is right

Edit for rubbish spelling

[Edited on 4/1/12 by Norfolkluegojnr]

pond

posted on 4/1/12 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
I could always be tempted if the price is right

I thought I was supposed to say that bit??

TimC

posted on 4/1/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a Cam7's group or something?

andrew.carwithen

posted on 4/1/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you're specifically looking for a Tiger, then register on the Tiger owners forum

http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk/forum.html

They have a 'For Sale/Wanted' section but in order to cut out spammers etc. you do have be registered for 30 days and have to make min. 25 posts before being able to put a 'wanted/for sale post in yourself.
(Although you can PM any sellers before then)

tims31

posted on 4/1/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
There was a Black Tiger 6 with a 2.0l Zetec for sale in Spalding, Lincs a couple of months ago on flea bay but not sure if it sold. Take a look on there.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Bare

posted on 4/1/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Heretical as this might sound: Have you considered a used Caterham?
A) it's the Original /quintessential 7 :-)
b) these have remarkable resale values As in one can sell it on for a fair percentage of it's purchase price.. should the need arise.

eddie99

posted on 4/1/12 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pond

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies.

I really want to keep the costs down to begin with, as I have made the mistake before of jumping in to things with both feet and buying the 'best around', then finding it's not for me and regretting it.

I am looking at spending £4k ish on a Pinto-engined car and perhaps retro-fitting a zetec later, or £6k ish for a zetec.

I presume these pices will rise in the Spring?!

I also have to buy the wife a new car soon, so have to tot up what both will cost, ie if I spend £10k on her car I can justify less for mine, however if I spend £7k on hers, I can spend the extra difference!

I am in no rush, so will keep an eye on everything for sale!

cheers
Andy

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 5/1/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
6k will get you a zetec car

Best thing i can suggest is go for a few ride alongs. you'll find out what you like, and what your budget will get you.

power isn't everything, how a car has been set up is more important, and if you're new to it the sensation of driving them is enough to keep you happy for a while.

I'd be happy to take you for a spin if you're down our way at any point

pond

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr

I'd be happy to take you for a spin if you're down our way at any point

Thanks for your kind offer!

Tiger Super Six

posted on 5/1/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
My Duratec Avon is for sale and it was mentioned you were looking - let me know if you want to take a look as it's a very good car built to a high spec.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=163140&page=1#pid1389940

Mark

Tiger Avon

steven

posted on 15/1/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent re Raceline Zetec Tiger R6

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.