Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inverter MIG welder
tegwin

posted on 7/1/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Inverter MIG welder

I think it is time to get a "proper" MIG welder. The little hobby one I have is simply not up to the job

I had toyed with the idea of a TIG welder but the cost for a decent one is a bit ouch... plus I think a MIG is more versatile.

The question is, are the inverter MIG welders that claim they can weld mild, stainless and alloy(with suitable gun) actually any good?! Will I be able to do decent looking welds on stainless for example?

I very much like the look of the R-Tech inverter Migs (the top two on this page) HERE. A little more than I wanted to pay, but they look pretty good...

Can anyone suggest any similar MIG machines that might be a better price? Its worth paying for something that will last quite a few years, but as I am tight fisted...... the less the better really.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

daviep

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
All MIG's can weld stainless and aluminium, you need argon and a teflon liner for aluminium and they're not much use for thin stuff.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered for anything too hi tech in a mig, your mig isn't going to be a portable machine with a 15kg spool of wire and 50kg of gas cylinder strapped to it so why the need for inverter drives when a transformer will work as well or better and be 100% reliable.

You really want a machine which will take 15kg spools as they are about half the price of 5kg spools kg for kg.

Just my opinion.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

posted on 8/1/12 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi.

If I can (afford it) I like to buy well known industrial makes of equipment.

If my 1996 Lincoln 210 MIG gave up on me, and I've no reason to think it will,
I would think very hard about this ESAB.

If you are after, (quote) a "proper" MIG welder, (unquote) then price wise this falls
between the two in your link.

http://www.wellyweld.com/products/esab-origo-mag-c201-43441.aspx

HTH
Cheers,
Paul G

Edit to add:-

If I have anything heavy to weld I borrow my mates C3000i.
An excellent 3ph machine, but should possibly be called the C £3000 i

[Edited on 8/1/12 by 907]

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/1/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
i have an r-tec 160amp portable inverter mig welder, it produces fantastic welds.

the last time i did some welding was back at college about 8-9 years ago and then i git this unit and after about 10 mins of practice i was ready to start welding up my land rover chassis and was doing lovely welds, my old man had a go with it, he works at a welding and fab place and he loves it and one of my mates is a fully qualified welder and he keeps trying to steal it from me because he likes it so much.

the best thing with the inverter mig is that they are soooooo much lighter than the traditional mig.

One bad point is that the unit wont like to get wet so no using outside in the rain

but the inverter welder can be run off an extension lead or a generator and they have a very high duty cycle

I have to say i like mine alot

tomgregory2000

posted on 8/1/12 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Here is a pic of some of the welding
this is after a couple of hours of welding

thought i would add a couple more

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 8/1/12 by tomgregory2000]

Peteff

posted on 8/1/12 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have a Kemppi Minarc like the link and it takes a 5kg spool and is very portable. It welds flawlessly even using pub co2 on thin metal. It's not a cheap option but it is good.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a used Clarke 195 mig - so not really a workshop mig but a reasonable home use mig - will do anything, produces good welds, uses big spools

cost £275

Parts backup via machine mart.

ssc28

posted on 8/1/12 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have used a migatronic machine for the last 12 years and sadly it has recently given up. I cant fault the thing as it has had some serious use and abuse. I'm now looking to replace it and want a decent spec machine. These seem to have all the things I need and are of a good quality for the price.

sorry dont know how to do a link

http://www.weldequip.com/portamig-mig-welders.htm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.