Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Biggred caliper refurbishing
DRCorsa

posted on 14/1/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Biggred caliper refurbishing

I plan to send my rear Sierra calipers to Biggred to refurbish them.
I cannot afford the polymer optios though as it gets too expensive IMO at 150pounds!
So, i will opt for the standard option which is cheaper at 89pounds.
Do you think that the quality of the standard option coating is good enough? Any experience that may be helpful?

big_wasa

posted on 14/1/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its the same standard as new, I painted mine up with caliper enamel.
tegwin

posted on 14/1/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I used bigred for my TVR calipers. Decided to go for the cheapest finish option..... regretted it! After a few months sat in my slightly damp garage they started to look pooh again..

Would seriously highly recomend getting the full polymer coating done....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

DRCorsa

posted on 14/1/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Any other cheaper service around?
150 is insane i think..

Chippy

posted on 14/1/12 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Go with the cheaper option, then buy a tin of caliper paint, colour of your choise, and paint them, its what I did and after six years still in good condition. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Neville Jones

posted on 14/1/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Polymer coating=powder coating. Couple of quid at best.

Good phosphate primer a good enamel gloss will do the job, won't chip and peel after 12 months either.

Cheers,
Nev.

rusty nuts

posted on 14/1/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth getting a price for your calipers from your local motor factors, could well be a bit cheaper if you can get a trade discount
dinosaurjuice

posted on 14/1/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I refurbed mine myself with new pistons and seals, cleaned the halves up (dishwasher helps) and re-powdercoated in a few evenings. saved over £60 and avoided reality TV for a few nights.

DRCorsa

posted on 14/1/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
I refurbed mine myself with new pistons and seals, cleaned the halves up (dishwasher helps) and re-powdercoated in a few evenings. saved over £60 and avoided reality TV for a few nights.

This is a good option as i have the powdercoating equipment but what puts me off is the need to strip the metal completely prior applying the powder. The other thing is the cost of the rebuild kit including pistons. Do you remember the price?
Reality TV is to be avoided anyway..

[Edited on 14/1/12 by DRCorsa]

dhutch

posted on 14/1/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I went for the cheapest 'holding paint' and then painted over them in por15 before fitting.
- Should have given them a second coat, but 18months later there only just coming through with odd spots. Atleast its repairable.

What i did do however is go for stainless pistons, which people said was sensible on a seasonally/lightly used car.

Daniel

dinosaurjuice

posted on 15/1/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DRCorsa
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice

This is a good option as i have the powdercoating equipment but what puts me off is the need to strip the metal completely prior applying the powder. The other thing is the cost of the rebuild kit including pistons. Do you remember the price?
Reality TV is to be avoided anyway..

[Edited on 14/1/12 by DRCorsa]

I started off with a 'cup' wire brush on angle grinder, then used a various smaller wire brushes around the intricate bits, staying well away from the seal areas. then gunk and dishwasher to degrease etc.

got ALL the parts off ebay, cost about £100 including a set of new discs and pads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.