Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Connected Wrong Polarity
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Battery Connected Wrong Polarity

Bit of an embarassing moment earlier. I went to look at a van and as it had sat for a while he went to jump start it. He connected his leads, which had a block on them with a green light on that I had never seen before, but he connected the other end to another battery and nothing was happening so I looked at the van battery and noticed a few wires coming from the terminal with a huge + over the top which he had connected to the other batteries negative. Anyway I says I think the leads are connected wrong and di he want me to switch them as he was sat in the van and he said yes.
Queue a big spark and the red light coming on the dash. He got out and looked and the + sign was actually a plug for topping the battery up
Anyhow the dealer just replaced the van battery with another one and it started fine and ran but the red light stayed on. I agreed a price including a short warranty and he said he would sort the red light even if it meant replacing the alternator. Great. But I'm wondering if there could be other damage caused? As I said the van ran fine and everything just had the red battery light on.
Any idea's? Comments on what I tool I am?

daviep

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Probably need to tell us what van it is? Is there a symbol with the red light?

We all do stupid things, they only ever happen when:
a) it doesn't belong to you or
b) when someone is watching or
c) both a & b

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
VW Transporter T4. It's the red battery light.
splitrivet

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Probably taken the diode out in the alternator, but if it runs ok the rest should be OK. Was the radio working if not probably taken the protection diode in that as well.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

needforspeed

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
check main fuse 60 or 80 amp
mistergrumpy

posted on 16/1/12 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
As said the dealer said he'd replace the alternator if needed before handing it over which is reassuring but I was a bit worried about maybe the ECU. Could there be damage here if the van was still running?
jollygreengiant

posted on 16/1/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
As said the dealer said he'd replace the alternator if needed before handing it over which is reassuring but I was a bit worried about maybe the ECU. Could there be damage here if the van was still running?

At best the engine would run with an engine management light on, at worst the engine would not run, IF, there was any damage to the ECU.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

splitrivet

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Most ecu's have a bridge rectifier built in so that even with a misconnection they are still fed correctly.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

perksy

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Seen this happen a couple of times and each time all its done is take the Alternator out

So fingers crossed thats all it done

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Great. Seems like all is not lost then. Phew!
Peteff

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't there a fuse in there to protect against incorrect polarity? When I did it on a bike it just blew the main fuse, one 30 amp fuse later and up and running again.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

austin man

posted on 16/1/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
get the alternator changed make sure hes not just removed the dash bulb so I would also take a test meter to see tht the new alternator is giving 14 volts on charging. PS welcome to the Transporter ownership. The link below may help you out over time. got me a T5 and loving it

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mistergrumpy

posted on 16/1/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. Already a member on VWT4. I'll be looking for lots of help from there too, soon.
austin man

posted on 16/1/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
will no doubt catch some of your posts on there then

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.