Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: orange broadband router
jabbahutt

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
orange broadband router

Afternoon all

I have an Orange wireless router pluggedinto a desktop compuiter upstairs which is the machine which had all the software and account info set up on. It's no longer used, just sits there with the router plugged in and everything else (PSŁ ipad etc) access internet wirelessly.

Now my stupid question. Now it's all set up if i wanted to remove the desktop and get rid of it can I just leave the router plugged in with no connection to a computer or does it need to access information of the computer to work and provide access to the web?

Simply answers please as I.T is up there with electrics ans sheet metal working in my list of could know more subjects

Thanks in advance
Nigel

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
It should work without fine.
I assume to add all your settings (wifi password etc) you went to a ip address?
192.168.0.1 or similar?
If so that was talking directly to the router, which you can also do from your laptop(s) to make any future changes.
You can also connect to it directly using the LAN socket/Cat5 cable that its probably currently connected to the desktop by - just plug that in to your laptop should you have any wifi issues in the future.

[Edited on 18/1/12 by loggyboy]

MikeFellows

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
turn the computer off and see what happens

but unless its one of the aweful USB ones they used to hand out then it will work fine

will121

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
i use an orange router about 4 years old and has no computer permanatly hard wired into it all access is now done wirelessly with laptops
Peteff

posted on 18/1/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Can you connect wireless devices to the router ? As loggyboy says, you can connect to it with a cable and access the settings, you will need the admin name and password to get the network name and key to log other devices onto the network (you must have them already as your PS2 and ipad are online)

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 18/1/12 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got an Orange thing here, sits behind the tv plugged into the phone line.

jabbahutt

posted on 19/1/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all your help, room looks much tidier now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.