Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First Start Video
AndyW

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
First Start Video

Hello everyone,

Finally got her running

Managed this on Monday but only just got chance to upload video. Taken on mobile so not fantastic quality but hey, she started on the first turn!! IM VERY VERY VERY HAPPY..

For those who dont know, its a standard 2,0 blacktop zetec, with GBS plenam running standard ford OWLS ecu with PATS. And before I get any more carried away with being happy, and massive thank you to Warren (Big_wasa) for his help and advice along the way.

Anyway enjoy......

First Start Video with a MAHOOSIVE smile behind the camera!!

DRCorsa

posted on 25/1/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!
roadrunner

posted on 25/1/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
WAYHAY, nice feeling aint it.
omega0684

posted on 25/1/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
congrats, cooling system and exhaust next

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NeilP

posted on 25/1/12 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh, the blue flames of Octane, god of petrolheads

Nice one that man!

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

big_wasa

posted on 25/1/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote

Well done

[Edited on 25/1/12 by big_wasa]

Superleggo

posted on 26/1/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, Great effort

Was the Led from the mondeo dash. if not what voltage is it?

big_wasa

posted on 26/1/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I replied to your post on the haynes.

Its 12v. Any pre wired 12v led will do, any colour you like.

Superleggo

posted on 27/1/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Big wasa

Thanks for your reply on the other forum. Great news that I don't need the dash module and also tat the LED is 12v as I have got a bundle lying about. do I just connect the LED up to the pins for the instrument control module.

I guess the clutch switch is needed to be open at the engine start or do you wire these out.

My EEC-V is code ICAM

big_wasa

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
The Icam ecu is from an automatic isnt it. Unless you are using the auto box then its not the best one to use.

The clutch switch is a load adjuster, same function as the air con presure switch and the heated rear window ect.

When you dip the clutch it ups the rpm a little to make sure you dont stall. I dont use it in a the 7

Superleggo

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes you are right it is from an auto and ther look to be alot of redundant wire for the auto box. I have just been given another option from a X reg Mondeo manual which I started to strip the loom out of today but had to stop as it got dark!!

At least this car is complete so should make life easier as I am taking it apart myself this time.

Plan to take the whole loom and strip it back from there.

But I guess this is one of the late MKII Mondeos

big_wasa

posted on 27/1/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
It will be the same age ecu as yours. Could well be an owl5 and ive done a few of these. You dont need to kill your self stripping the whole car loom.

You need the engine loom that starts with the ecu on the O/S and runs behind the engine to a square 42 pin plug on the N/S wing. Then cut the other side of the 42 pin plug of.

You will want the Obd2 plug from under the steering wheel. You want the key/ barrell and the reader from around the barrell and the plug that fits this. Cut it of with around 100mm of wire.

Superleggo

posted on 27/1/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Big Wasa

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to take the whole loom on the basis I am short of wire and could do with a modern fuse/ relay box to add to my camper.

I was going to only take the engine loom again but had not got the 4 wire plug for the transponder ring so thought I may as take the rest as it is a nice fuse /relay box. Not much use for you guys building locosts but my camper is fully loades with modern upgrades so the fuse box is very second division.

I want to get the engine running out of the camper then graft it into the camper loom which is shocking. From looking at the wiring diagram there don't seem many wires required. I am attracted to the Pats system as the locks on the camper are so poor you can start most of them with a lollypop stick. With Pats at leats it will stop the 15 yearolds taking it but any pro will take anything

I plan to travel in the camper so want a standard system that can be fixed in mainland Europe. The VW air cooled engine is too yesterday. The Suberu conversion may be good fun but too thirsty for a camper. Hence I decided on a Zetec. Everybody says fit a weber carb but I like the reliability of injection systems. Hence thew pain of instalation. I have got a brand new Megasquirt ECU but this is too bespoke for this vehicle so I plan to run it on the original system.

I know it can be done but there are few arround who have done it like you

Sorry for asking so many questions but I was not wanting to invent the wheel and if Ford spent thousands on this ECU I am not sharp enough to do better but hate being it will not run!

big_wasa

posted on 28/1/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
You have hit the nail on the head. You will not better the standard ecu for a road car. It starts on the button and you can plug an obd2 reader into it or even your phone. You will get another 20bhp with your Ms but it will not run aswell around town.

There are very few wires to make it run and if you keep the engine loom in one bit its not hard to do.

Easy to get running out of the car.

AndyW

posted on 28/1/12 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
As Warren says, standard ecu all the way for easy first time reliable starts. As you can see in Warrens video its easy to get it running out of the car, and my start video fires up first time every time :-)

Just a case of getting the right ecu and associated bits and then wiring it in!!!

Superleggo

posted on 28/1/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I have just spent the morning stripping the loom out of a mondeo. Whist this semed a bit of a retrograde step as I already have one I did not take it out of the car as I got it off ebay. Not a good move in retrospect as the butcher who took it out did not supply all the parts.

Thing now seem a lot more logical as this is the first time I have seen a Mondeo.

Busy stripping out the unwanted parst of the loom and tracing wires back. The ECU is a LAAN. Could not read the engine number off the car so will have to gues which wiring diagram to use but they don't seem too different.

Poorscousertommy

posted on 28/1/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just a big well done from me

I'm still trying to figure out rollin chassis so an engine start is a great big deal

Enjoy, and keep choipping away

AndyW

posted on 29/1/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
I will admit that when I first started work on the loom it was a bit daunting. Small steps wire by wire and all worked out well. it does seem a bit like butchering at times but well worth the time and effort. Im now in the process of removing the wiring and running it into its final location behind the dash, as was all just temporary to get her running. So again, wire by wire, shorten some, lengthen others and put all back together again for the final time :-/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.