Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: need some brake unions asap with IVA aproaching, where from
daniel mason

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
need some brake unions asap with IVA aproaching, where from

was readiing a post the other day on here regarding IVA tester spotting brake fluid and deeming the car unfit to drive!
i have noticed fluid slightly leaking from the bottom of the filler hose from resevoir to master cylinder.
where can i buy the following parts?
2x 7/16" male unions with proper hosetails and cup washers built in? all the ones ive seen (cbs etc)are 7/16" female

or 2 x 7/16" straight male to male union and 2x 7/16" female filler union as on cbs

and some iva marked 7-8mm id filler hose. cheers

britishtrident

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Did you fit a copper washer (or alternatively Dowty seal) between union and the cylinder ?

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

austin man

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
local motor factors

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

daniel mason

posted on 25/1/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
It was supplied in the kit and was a 7/16 brake pipe union with a short flared length of copper pipe attatched. It's leaking where the filler hose is clamped to the short copper section of pipe. Not ideal really.

Dusty

posted on 26/1/12 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
Just get a local garage to put a flare on the copper pipe where it joins the hose or even a large blob of solder smoothed off with emery. This will give a better fit inside the hose. Might need to anneal the copper end flare that goes in the cylinder as it will be work hardened and won't make a good seal second time around unless you do.

Rally design do brake fittings.Rally design as do VWP.

Another possible is to use a copper/cunifer pipe for the whole run without any hose. pipe

[Edited on 26/1/12 by Dusty]

loggyboy

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Try some PTFE (Fluid or tape) maybe?
adithorp

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
It was supplied in the kit and was a 7/16 brake pipe union with a short flared length of copper pipe attatched. It's leaking where the filler hose is clamped to the short copper section of pipe. Not ideal really.

What sort of clip have you used on the hose? It needs to be a "fuel pipe" type clip and not a jubilee. Jubilees are a bit D shaped where the screw is as they tighten up and leak on small diameter pipes. Even with fuel pipe ones they're best to be as tight/small a fit as possible before being done up. As said getting a flare on the pipe end will help.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Neville Jones

posted on 26/1/12 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I would have got my arse kicked from here to kingdom come if I was caught using Teflon tape anywhere near hydraulics when I worked in the heavy earthmoving gear, same with the marine engineering.

PTFE tape is for domestic plumbers, and as a last resort at that. The Loctite pipe sealant is a completely different matter.

Do the job properly first time!

Cheers,
Nev.

daviep

posted on 26/1/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I would have got my arse kicked from here to kingdom come if I was caught using Teflon tape anywhere near hydraulics when I worked in the heavy earthmoving gear, same with the marine engineering.

PTFE tape is for domestic plumbers, and as a last resort at that. The Loctite pipe sealant is a completely different matter.

Do the job properly first time!

Cheers,
Nev.

Nev is correct that PTFE would not be correct in this instance, however it is perfectly acceptable when used on the correct type of connection (tapered threads) in the vast majority of hydraulic applications despite what some guy down the pub told Nev 30 years ago

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Try Europa car spares , Or Think Automotive , they also do the correct type of hose complete with nspec sheet for IVA. As said use fuel pipe clips not Jubilee clips
Neville Jones

posted on 26/1/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
in the vast majority of hydraulic applications despite what some guy down the pub told Nev 30 years ago

Regards
Davie

You wouldn't be so smug if you had seen the damage that I've seen caused by teflon tape. I've seen it sucked out of unions, and subsequently wrapped in pumps and valves, causing all manner of expensive problems. Spent a good few years in the big mines working on the biggest of earthmoving gear, and maybe an hour or so in the pub. Fixing the poor design work of the yanks who built the stuff.

Teflon tape is for domestic plumbers, and no-one else.

Cheers,
Nev.

daniel mason

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
sorted now. thanks for all those who helped! got myself 2x proper filler unions and some IVA filler hose to suit.thanks

daviep

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
in the vast majority of hydraulic applications despite what some guy down the pub told Nev 30 years ago

Regards
Davie

You wouldn't be so smug if you had seen the damage that I've seen caused by teflon tape. I've seen it sucked out of unions, and subsequently wrapped in pumps and valves, causing all manner of expensive problems. Spent a good few years in the big mines working on the biggest of earthmoving gear, and maybe an hour or so in the pub. Fixing the poor design work of the yanks who built the stuff.

Teflon tape is for domestic plumbers, and no-one else.

Cheers,
Nev.

I'm not smug in any way I just don't agree with your sweeping statement and feel qualified to challenge it.

Spent the last 11 years working on HydraRig equipment, american made, full of NPT fittings sealed with PTFE. Not yet seen a failure attributable to PTFE tape.

I guess we all have different experiences sometimes.

Regards
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

mikemph
Contributor

Posts 111
Registered 20/9/10
Location oxford

Photo Archive Go!
Building: R1 powered Haynes Roadster and MK Indy zetec turbo

posted on 26/1/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
I am also not a great fan of PTFE tape.

I much prefer loctite sealants (used correctly), although some people go mad and plaster the stuff everywhere when it's really not needed and can clog up small oil ways and pipes just like PTFE tape.

I do use PTFE tape on mild steel BSP pipe work with cooling water in at work for quickness and the fact that the joints rust up and self seal if they weep a bit at first.

I feel it's more of a personal preference situation.
Horses for courses.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.