Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ebay. bank details ?
steve m

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
ebay. bank details ?

Hi

I sold some side screens, on the ebay, it was a uk only sale, as i can not be arsed with posting to outside of uk

any way after 5 days the seller has contacted me, and is in Germany, , and has sent me this reply,
firstly is it ok to give him my bank details ? as i have never given them to any one else in 30 ish years
and secondly he wants me to post them to a caterhm dealer in the uk, another odd quiestion ?

regards
steve

"Hi Steve,
please give me your bank account details, so I can transfer the money.
Please give me the SWIFT (BIC) No. and the IBAN because I have to do a international payment.
If you want, you can send it after receiving the money to a friend of mine in GB, this should be cheaper for you. I will pick them up when I visit him next time.
This is Jon Vicker at millwood motors in Cam, Dursley.

Thank you,
Ralf"

[Edited on 30/1/12 by steve m]

loggyboy

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Ring the caterham dealer to see if he can shed light on it?
eddie99

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah as above, i'd ring caterham dealer...

Giving account number and sort code is fine but im unsure about BIC AND IBAN numbers.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 30/1/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
You give out your bank details every time you issue a cheque! It's hardly personal information.

Swiftbic & Iban no. are needed to make an international payment, I've given mine out on a no. of occasiions, you'll find them printed at the top of a bank statement usually.

Doesn't sound like anything dodgy particularly, just make sure the money is not only in your a/c but CLEARED before you part with the goods - if he'd paid with Paypal you'd have happily accepted it & he could then say they've not arrived & claim it back thro' ebay! Much safer with a bank payment, once it's in your a/c & clear, it can't be claimed back! All IMHO of course.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
femster87

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
sounds very normal to me. Get money before postage.
rachaeljf

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Bank transfers are common on the continent. We get them regularly (my other half is an eBay seller). As others have said, the IBAN/BIC is only what's written on your cheques, just a combination of your sort code and account number.

Cheers R

steve m

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies

we are not seasoned ebay seller's so allways a bit wary,

but i will mail the guy back

regards

steve

designer

posted on 30/1/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Should be no problems. I give my full bank details to anybody who wants to give me money.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRCorsa

posted on 30/1/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ask him/her the name.
Maybe it's Mrs Merkel, trying to clear your bank account as usually!

dhutch

posted on 30/1/12 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
I would be wary too, but it sounds plausable and as said you give out sort/acc no's with every cheque. Not that we use them much anymore!

Dont really see why he cant pay with paypal however. certainly get the money up front and ring the bloke your due to post it to, otherwise, shipping to a uk address sounds good to me.

Daniel

Macbeast

posted on 30/1/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
" I give my full bank details to anybody who wants to give me money. "

Stand by for a load of good news from Nigeria

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/1/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

This is a typical response from people that seem to think that if you give your bank account number and sort code to someone that they are somehow able to take money out of your account with it. Not only are these details printed on every cheque you write, it's actually somewhat more risky writing a cheque since you are also passing your signature over at the same time.

Even the Nigerian scammers can't do anything with your bank account number, sort code and name unless you also give them your online banking password/PIN etc.

[Edited on 30/1/12 by MikeRJ]

MikeFellows

posted on 30/1/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
all sounds ok to me

im guessing caterham dealer is sending him a parcel already so wishes to combine eu postage

trextr7monkey

posted on 30/1/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast

This is a typical response from people that seem to think that if you give your bank account number and sort code to someone that they are somehow able to take money out of your account with it. Not only are these details printed on every cheque you write, it's actually somewhat more risky writing a cheque since you are also passing your signature over at the same time.

Even the Nigerian scammers can't do anything with your bank account number, sort code and name unless you also give them your online banking password/PIN etc.

[Edited on 30/1/12 by MikeRJ]

I never followed it too closely and could easily be wrong but wasn't that how Loud mouth Clarkson suddenly found he was a charitable donor ?
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

MikeFellows

posted on 30/1/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
yes it was, I believe they donated £10 from clarksons account for 12 months

that was via a online direct debit though (need his name, address and the ability to work out his bank location from the sortcode)

steve m

posted on 30/1/12 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Well, we seem to have a result, as the German Guy has just paid by paypal,

In my view the best result, but i know others would have prefered the money straight into there bank account
But i did not feel comfortable giving that type of info, to someone i have and never will meet, and possibly not trust

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.