Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avelle GTA / Mullen GT?
Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Avelle GTA / Mullen GT?

What's the connection between these two:
http://inspiratech.biz/ (UK)
http://www.mullenmotorco.com/ (USA)
with regards to their respective models called Avelle GTA and Mullen GT?

I've had a look on Google and I haven't been able to find information about the companies' respective histories.

Also I've found very little information about the cars or pictures of their insides. I see the Mullen is designed to take V8 powertrains but that's about it.

[Edited on 5/2/12 by Alez]

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a lot of research on this, as a result of buying one!

Bear with me while i type it up!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ive spoken to Art at Mullen Motor Co, and also the guy that has recently acquired the moulds for the Avelle kit.

Mullen makes claims (to me by phone) that the kit was shipped to the UK and 'Copied'. He asked me to send him some pictures, so i did and heard nothing back from him at all. In fact, he sounded aggrieved that i had one of these "Copies" and was quite short IIRC.

The Avelle GTA was the UK manufactured kit, produced in Leicestershire (Or Northants, i forget which), but there were only a few made as far as i can tell. The yellow one, theres a red one, and mine has sprung up somewhere along the line.

Mine is registered as an AGT Sports, and when i purchased it was told that it was a prototype for the kit later called the Avelle. I think mine was a RHD conversion of the otherwise LHD Mullen M11. This explains why the wishbones look "Prototype" on mine, as does the bodywork / finish. Its never seen a decent coat of paint on the body, so have been drying it out for the last 18m before i get round to finishing it.

The Avelle came with three engine combinations;

Renault with Transaxle (Turned out to be the 2.2 J7T engine which i removed)
Ford Duratec V6 (The latest version)
Plus another option i think , which escapes me for now.

There we go, lots of 'unclarified rumours' and mysterious background to look into, but as far as i can tell, mine is very unique in that it shows signs of early design, such as the headlights, no rollover protection (currently), and the renault engine which i am in the process of changing to the 2.0L J7R engine, and supercharger.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

Exactly four minutes after asking about a pretty rare one and I already have a reply from an owner!

Don't rush it! It's just out of curiosity, although it would be nice to know if either company is on as of today, the car looks really cool to me.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alez
quote:

Exactly four minutes after asking about a pretty rare one and I already have a reply from an owner!

Don't rush it! It's just out of curiosity, although it would be nice to know if either company is on as of today, the car looks really cool to me.

As far as im aware, im the only remaining owner of one in the UK???

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing, thanks and congrats for your cool project!

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverythingThe Avelle came with three engine combinations;

Hmm I would've thought the "V8" mention on the Mullen website meant it would be a longitudinally mounted V8 coupled to a transaxle, is the "Renault + transaxle" a similar approach (longitudinal) but 4L? What about the V6, transverse with original FWD gearbox or longitudinal + transaxle?

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Amazing, thanks and congrats for your cool project!

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverythingThe Avelle came with three engine combinations;

Hmm I would've thought the "V8" mention on the Mullen website meant it would be a longitudinally mounted V8 coupled to a transaxle, is the "Renault + transaxle" a similar approach (longitudinal) but 4L? What about the V6, transverse with original FWD gearbox or longitudinal + transaxle?

The V6 was transverse with the OE transmission, and the renault engine is longitudinal with UN1 OE Transmission.

I believe the V8 must be transverse (?) as there is limited room for pulleys, dampers and water pump at at the front of the engine bay. Ive looked into that, and could have got a Cosworth V6 engine in quite comfortably, but not a V8.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverythingAs far as im aware, im the only remaining owner of one in the UK???

Right, so Avelle seems out of business but there's a little hope for a UK car in the shape of "a guy" who's bought the moulds... I suppose there's a lot of chassis design to do until a set of moulds becomes a car so, one offs like yours aside, the car as such is presently a USA one which is a shame because it's so cool, but makes your one very exclusive

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but makes your one very exclusive

Which makes it not the "Piece of poo money pit in the garage" that my missus says it is!

I came across mine rotting in a gloucestershire industrial unit, having had a theft attempt on it, and its wheels stolen! Still cost me a few quid though!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The V6 was transverse with the OE transmission, and the renault engine is longitudinal with UN1 OE Transmission.

I believe the V8 must be transverse (?) as there is limited room for pulleys, dampers and water pump at at the front of the engine bay. Ive looked into that, and could have got a Cosworth V6 engine in quite comfortably, but not a V8.

Understood, thanks

I wonder if the current Mullen chassis is any different then, since they seem to favour V8 engines and they state you can fit pretty much whatever V8 you fancy. Or maybe all of them are mounted transverse like you said.

The spec says it's a 2 meter wide car, that's very wide, 10 cm wider than my Ultima which can take pretty much any engine, so the limit must be dictated by the length.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thats right, it is incredibly wide! I keep having problems with attracting Kerbs!

I think the UK chassis has changed a lot (Numbers on the website links above dont work) and i think incorprates roll over protection now. The V6 version used the original ford subframe as well i think, but i dont know a great deal about it.

A great little car though, with some clever design detail. Not for anyone over 5'10 though, as i struggle to sit in mine comfortably, and plan to modify the roof at a later date.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Which makes it not the "Piece of poo money pit in the garage" that my missus says it is!

I came across mine rotting in a gloucestershire industrial unit, having had a theft attempt on it, and its wheels stolen! Still cost me a few quid though!

It's going to be utterly cool once on the road, and it will be nice to compare the pics as bought and once finished.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the blog;

BLOG: http://21toc.com/blog.php?1742-MakeEverything

There is a post on here somewhere as well with pictures when it arrived home.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/2/12 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Here;

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=118781

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Alez

posted on 5/2/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.