Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine cleaning 'bath'
johnH20

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Engine cleaning 'bath'

Been searching 'engine cleaning'. Lots of advice on products to use but none on dealing with the mess! I have been thinking along the lines of some kind of industrial tray with 15 - 20 cm deep sides which will catch most of the run off and placing this on a large tarpaulin to catch the inevitable splashes. Any ideas on what might be suitable and where to get it? It needs to be locost of course! TIA.
Bluemoon

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Old bath from skip.. Even has a drain hole... On mine just hung from engine crane with a tray underneath and sprayed with air parifine gun to clean up (didn't want to paint just get of the crude collected by fords best oil leaks (or active rust control system??)..

Dan

designer

posted on 6/2/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pressure washer, but even better: steam clean. If you have to hire it's worth every penny.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ashg

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
diesel powered steam cleaner down the bottom of the garden with a healthy dose of traffic film remover solution.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

nick205

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Might sound daft, but a kids paddling pool costs less than a tenner and if you stand the engine on some bits off wood the pool won't rip. Once your done simply pick the pool up, cut a hole in the the bottom, drain into a suitable container and dispose of appropriately.

jabbahutt

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Nick where were these amazing tips when I wan sorting my engine and getting grief from the wife for making a mess of the drive

Chippy

posted on 6/2/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Four bits of 2" x 2" timber formed into a square, just nail together, then cover with a piece of thick polythene sheet, makes its own tray. Cheep as chips and works a treat. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

chris-g

posted on 6/2/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cement mixing tray from Wickes or B&Q.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools-storage-workwear/handtools/plastering-decorating/paint_trays/Active-Products-Multi-Purpose-Mixing-Tray-9273112 />

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/543009

steve m

posted on 6/2/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a 24" x 24" plant seeding tray, the sides are about 4", twas £10 in asda about 5 years ago
doubles up as a handy oil catch tray on oil changes as well, as i ALLWAYS make a mess!

I cant use it as a drip tray on the 7, as the sump is only 3.5" from the ground

coyoteboy

posted on 6/2/12 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm cleaning my block with a toothbrush and cloths, not dropping anything on the garage floor yet!
johnH20

posted on 6/2/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant ideas here, thank you all. As it happens I ( the Mrs ) am having a bathroom redone so I am about to inherit a bath. Perfect!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.