Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR100RR 2005 Idle Oil Pressure
enginearin

posted on 19/2/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
CBR100RR 2005 Idle Oil Pressure

Hello all,

Anybody know what hot idle oil pressure to expect on the 2005 fireblade engine? Ran my car up to temp today and i have 12psi ish at idle but 65+psi at 3500rpm.

Oil light is on permanently at idle, but i'm not sure if the switch is a std or high pressure one. No funny noises or running issues otherwise.

Thanks

Tim

PAUL FISHER

posted on 19/2/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ive not had anything to do with the 1000rr, but as a rule at 3500 rpm I would expect to see only around 30 psi oil pressure and anything from 5 to 10 psi on tickover when hot, and the oil pressure switches are usually set at around the 3 to 5 psi range, just things to check which can effect your readings, how hot was the oil temp, as just running it up in the garage you would struggle to get the oil up to 90 c, this could account for your quite high readings, and also what is your tickover set at, this will also effect your oil pressure at idle, also has it got the correct oil in it, this will also effect readings, It may well be in the end its just the oil pressure switch thats faulty, but there's a few idea's for you.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

progers

posted on 20/2/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enginearin
Hello all,

Anybody know what hot idle oil pressure to expect on the 2005 fireblade engine? Ran my car up to temp today and i have 12psi ish at idle but 65+psi at 3500rpm.

Oil light is on permanently at idle, but i'm not sure if the switch is a std or high pressure one. No funny noises or running issues otherwise.

Thanks

Tim

Sounds about right, if anything a bit higher than I would expect if oil is >100C. Is the light driven by a switch or is it an indicator from something like a Digidash (which is programmable)? I am pretty sure (knowing the builder of the car) that it would have a low pressure warning set at a level that was meaningful on track, i.e. to warn you that something was going wrong while ringing its neck out. This would be around 20psi, a level you shouldn't see if you keep the revs up.

Regards

Paul

P.S. You should post this question on the RGB forum as several people there know the car + there are some very knowledgeable people regarding the blade :-)

[Edited on 20/2/12 by progers]

enginearin

posted on 20/2/12 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by progers
quote:
Originally posted by enginearin
Hello all,

Thanks

Tim

Sounds about right, if anything a bit higher than I would expect if oil is >100C. Is the light driven by a switch or is it an indicator from something like a Digidash (which is programmable)? I am pretty sure (knowing the builder of the car) that it would have a low pressure warning set at a level that was meaningful on track, i.e. to warn you that something was going wrong while ringing its neck out. This would be around 20psi, a level you shouldn't see if you keep the revs up.

Regards

Paul

P.S. You should post this question on the RGB forum as several people there know the car + there are some very knowledgeable people regarding the blade :-)

[Edited on 20/2/12 by progers]

Thanks for all the replies... I'd assumed / hoped that the builder would have put in a higher pressure switch which would drive the indicator light. I'm assuming it's not from the Digidash as there is no OLP warning coming up on the dash. I will have a proper look at the circuitry and establish what and how this weekend... all part of getting to know the new car i suppose.

Looking forward to getting the new cage on and getting out on track now.

I'll try RGB forums too next time... i've also bought myself the Haynes manual for the CBR1000rr to hopefully avoid asking any really dumb questions (barring my next question... but i'll save that for another thread!)

Thanks

Tim

franky

posted on 21/2/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
if I was you i'd find out what it should be at idle and put a pressure gauge on it just to see what's going on. It could be expensive otherwise.
enginearin

posted on 21/2/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
if I was you i'd find out what it should be at idle and put a pressure gauge on it just to see what's going on. It could be expensive otherwise.

Thanks... i'm trying to avoid expensive mistakes! I have the digidash pressure readout at 12psi ish with a separate light (assumed to be driven from independent pressure switch).

The manufacturers idle oil pressure value is what i was asking for.

BobM

posted on 23/2/12 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
12psi at idle sounds fine when hot. My Busa used to get down to 6-7psi but Kawasakis rune even lower, my ZX10 can show 2psi or less at idle with oil ~120 degrees.

Not very Locost but very BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.