Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW PAS Pump
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/2/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
VW PAS Pump

Another problem with my T4 Transporter 2.5 TDi and am hoping the people on here can help or advise.
Had the belts and tensioners changed about 3 weeks and have started with a squeak which quietens down once I've been out and driving for a bit. Anyway there appears to be a very slight leak around the PAS pump/crank pulley area and I've had the crank and cam seals replaced so I knew it wasn't them.
Today I lay next to the pulleys with the engine running and squirted some silicone based spray on the PAS pump shaft, behind the pulley and low and behold, the squeak went...for about 30 seconds!
Anyhow, I now know where it's coming from and on jiggling the pulley, the shaft has some play, about 1-2mm in and out of the pump body. The fluid should be green in the reservoir but it looks brown/red to me.

Can anyone advise on the next step? I have some Wynns leak stopper that I haven't used yet. Should i?
Should I just bite the bullet and replace the whole pump or will a fluid change for the correct green stuff do?
Should the shaft have a little play like that in it?

Thanks in advance, this thing's costing a fortune, much the same as my Locost did

v8kid

posted on 21/2/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I kept a leaky Renault Espace PAS going for 100k using leak stopper before I got fed up with it. Believe it or not it was an engine out job to fix!

Anyhow the point is leakstopper works.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
van cleef

posted on 21/2/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
My power steering was noisy as hell in my Caddy and was about to change the pump but I thought it would be cheaper to try the fluid first.
the pump ran like new afterwards with no noise.

hillbillyracer

posted on 21/2/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno that the colour is much to worry about, the PAS as on most things runs on Automatic Tranmission Fluid which in most cases is red. My T4 2.5 TDI has red stuff in & always has as long as I've had it, no squeaky belt though. A bit of chalk dust or talc will quieten the belt for a while if it's just the belt that's squeaking & if it remains then it's something else, you've pretty much done that already with the spray but the talc would last longer.
A fluid change wouldn't do any harm though & it a cheap thing to try first.

rusty nuts

posted on 21/2/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
I kept a leaky Renault Espace PAS going for 100k using leak stopper before I got fed up with it. Believe it or not it was an engine out job to fix!

It.s an engine out job to fit the rear bank spark plugs on an Espace v6!

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/2/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies fella's. Does anyone know the correct spec of oil if I change it? There seems to be a debate over the red or green fluid thing with some saying if it has a green lid it should have green fluid and others saying it matters not.
mistergrumpy

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well I rang VW and they said it should have green fluid in, so I changed it and it solved nothing.
After a lot of reading, I got home earlier, got the torch and crawler board out and just lay under the van. It looked as though the PAS pulley was sticking out further than the rest. I looked at the face and low and behold, there's a clean triangle around the mounting bolts that matches the mounting plate on the shaft. The garage had put it on the wrong way and it's offset and dished so a quick flick around and it's fine again. Hooray for me, a big eff you to the garage. I genuinely am peed off with taking my vehicles into mechanics. I'm know there are good ones but I've rarely encountered them and I think it's a real shame for the decent ones out there. I've only use them for timing belts for a number of years now but have had issues like finding spare bolts rolling around under the bonnet, random sockets likewise, several 10's of miles added to the odo (I always record it before taking it in) and crap in the boot where they've most definitely not been carrying spare parts from the shops.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.