Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Strange insurance quotation problem
steve m

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Strange insurance quotation problem

Hi all

It will soon be time to renew the insurance on the tin top, just a boring Mondeo

so i enter all the relevent stuff, and get my quotes coming out of mearcat.com, some are not bad !
range from £248-£1530 a year ??????

any way it says on the right hand page that having some one else on the insurance could save money,
i could not work out why ! but added my wife, age etc bla bla full licence, of 15 yrs plus etc
and the quotes are about £60 cheaper with two of us on the policy

now the problem,

My Wife can t drive, never has driven, and i would not let her loose to even sit in the driving seat, !!

So if my wife was to "never drive the car" so in theory how would the insurance company know she cant actually drive, and does not hold any form of licence ?

any ideas?

Steve

blakep82

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
hmm, you'd have to enter details of how long shes had a license, by saying she has one would be a lie, and even though she would never drive and therefore never be able to crash the car, insurance companies may check if you were ever to make a claim. they'll try and find any way to get out of paying up. sayoing she has a licence when she doesn't may invalidate your insurance. would only be a problem if you ever had to claim i guess...

anyway, you can add anyone on to lower i think. female is better... any daughters? mothers? friends you can add who will never drive?
i added my mum to mine to get it down. she never drives my car. she's covered on her own insurance to drive any car anyway if she ever had to...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

steve m

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
adding my Mum, now that is a good idea!
shes been driving for 50+ years, no points etc, and is the best driver. out of her and Dad!

adding my daughter would be dreadfull, as it would mean she could borrow my car, errrr NO, or her Brother

Steve

blakep82

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:50 AM Reply With Quote
well, whoever you add doesn't have to know you added them....
just as long as they have a licence really.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 22/2/12 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't they change that thing about women being cheaper to insure this year?

You'd be commiting insurance fraud if you tell them your wife has a lisense if she doesn't and adding anyone over 70 isn't likely to do you any favours but it's always worth a try.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

steve m

posted on 22/2/12 at 03:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ive tried it with my Mother, and its the same, £60 cheaper
so her at 72 is still low risk

Furyous

posted on 22/2/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Allegedly, the idea is that if other, "safer" people are insured to drive the car you will be driving it less so the overall risk is reduced. But that might be internet hearsay.
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 22/2/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I always add my mum and girlfirend to my insurance ever since a conversation I had many years ago with my insurance company. They said that if my mum or girlfriend drove just one day out of the year it would mean I wouldn't be driving and hence their risk would be lower. I couldn't help but laugh, picturing the dents in my mums car!!

quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
Allegedly, the idea is that if other, "safer" people are insured to drive the car you will be driving it less so the overall risk is reduced. But that might be internet hearsay.

britishtrident

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Much as I love the Meerkats it is worth trying other sites directly rather than through the comparision sites. I found LV is very good anybody over 30.

Also the Post Office comparision site and Lancaster Insurance comparion engnee.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 22/2/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I used the mearcats site last night (at work) pureley as Swinton, who for the last two years were the best sensible quote
have hiked me up from £310 to £660 this year ??

Ive got till 15 March, so will try others

Steve

James

posted on 22/2/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Adding my girlfriend to my insurance lowered mine.

At the same time, adding me to hers lowered hers.

I think it's more that someone in a couple/stable relationship is less likely to be an insurance risk than someone single.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

serieslandy

posted on 22/2/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying car insurance as well. Funnily enough my renewal seems to be about the cheepest so far.

Insurance seems to have gone up a lot. Maybe I should claim for whiplash as well.......

stevegough

posted on 22/2/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
You could always get her a licence - but at £50, you are not going to benefit much if the saving is only £60?

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

steve m

posted on 22/2/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
To qualify for any form of discount, it has to be a Full licence, and from playing about with the settings, anything over 3 years
made a different

[Edited on 22/2/12 by steve m]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 22/2/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Just had to stop driving for a while, Mrs hals ins shot up for her car + they wanted £30 cancellation fee from me for my own tintop ins, when i asked kit insurers ( who were brilliant about the whole thing BTW I:e kept ins ok for mrs + no charges at all) they told me it's because of something called 'shared liability ' don't ask me what that means !

PS Frank pickles are my kit insurers, again, brilliant !

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.