Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which GRP Seats Have Gel-Coat on the Rear
scootz

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Which GRP Seats Have Gel-Coat on the Rear

My biggest bug-bear about most kit-oriented GRP seats is the nasty rough finish on the rear and sides.

Does anyone know of any manufacturers who gel-coat all faces?

It's Evolution Baby!

twybrow

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
The method they use to make them, there is little advantage other than making it the same colour. It will never have the same finished surface look as it isn't a moulded surface....

Buy a pot of gelcoat (well flowcoat really) and apply it yourself!

plentywahalla

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Technically the finish on the back would be a Flo-coat. Mix of Gel-Coat, Resin and Paraffin Wax.

Most manufacturers wouldn't do it because it adds weight without adding strength. a better solution would be surfacing tissue. Not as smooth but much lighter.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

scootz

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

Cheers... is it that straightforward?

It's Evolution Baby!

loggyboy

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the pics ive seen of JK ones, some of them look gloss, maybe its an option?. (not the pics on their site btw as they are all low res front shots)

[Edited on 1/3/12 by loggyboy]

twybrow

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

Yes - mix it with 2% catalyst, and apply like paint.... Voila!

scootz

posted on 1/3/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well hurrah and huzzah (whatever that actually means!). Will give it a go when the time comes!

It's Evolution Baby!

daviep

posted on 1/3/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Another option would be flocking.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

loggyboy

posted on 1/3/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl wrap?
ashg

posted on 1/3/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote

tillett...................................

will match carbon tub loverly jubberley tubberly.....

dont forget to buy the wrong size and sell them to me for half price before you get the correct ones.

[Edited on 1/3/2012 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Andybarbet

posted on 1/3/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
When I asked about Triton seats rear finish ages ago, he mentioned the option of adding some sort of paper to the back of the seat when they are made, apparently it gives a 'neater' finish.

Just found the reply:
'If you let me have your email address I will send you some pics of the backs but the standard finish is matt....I can however finish the backs as per the superlite seats with surface tissue which gives a much nicer smoother finish. £5.00 per pair extra for the tissue'

I did ask for some pictures but never got them.

Has anyone else got Triton seats with this finish on the back ??

Im going to go for GRP seats when i get round to needing seats (probably about 5 years judging by current progress) but i am with you on this one scootz, it would be nice to have a neater finish on the rear, especially as im short because the driver seat will be well forward of the interior ali back panel.

ReMan

posted on 1/3/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Does nobody do the "double skinned" seats anymore?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Davegtst

posted on 1/3/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
When I asked about Triton seats rear finish ages ago, he mentioned the option of adding some sort of paper to the back of the seat when they are made, apparently it gives a 'neater' finish.

Just found the reply:
'If you let me have your email address I will send you some pics of the backs but the standard finish is matt....I can however finish the backs as per the superlite seats with surface tissue which gives a much nicer smoother finish. £5.00 per pair extra for the tissue'

I did ask for some pictures but never got them.

Has anyone else got Triton seats with this finish on the back ??

Im going to go for GRP seats when i get round to needing seats (probably about 5 years judging by current progress) but i am with you on this one scootz, it would be nice to have a neater finish on the rear, especially as im short because the driver seat will be well forward of the interior ali back panel.

I wish I was given this option. I have triton seats and the rough finish on the back really let them down.

Chippy

posted on 1/3/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Well not quite, for a start you will only be able to apply one coat due to the wax content, and very often that will come out too thin. What you need to do is apply a couple, or more, coats of gelcoat, they won't fully dry, but will stay tacky, once you have enough thickness, then apply a coat of flowcoat, this will set hard, and because it excludes air from the gelcoat that will set hard as well. Then get the wet and dry out, (400 grit), and cut back to a nice flat surface, then buff to a high shine. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

twybrow

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
quote:
quote:

Well not quite, for a start you will only be able to apply one coat due to the wax content, and very often that will come out too thin. What you need to do is apply a couple, or more, coats of gelcoat, they won't fully dry, but will stay tacky, once you have enough thickness, then apply a coat of flowcoat, this will set hard, and because it excludes air from the gelcoat that will set hard as well. Then get the wet and dry out, (400 grit), and cut back to a nice flat surface, then buff to a high shine. HTH Ray

Crikey Chippy - he opnly wants a visual improvement, not to build massive thickness in the gel/flowcoat...

Yes - with flowcoat you typically only do one coat, but it usually covers very well - certainly enough in one pass to cover the worst of the csm matt print. If you want to build the thickness, dont bother with flowcaot, but instead buy gelcoat, and a small pot of wax to add to the gelcoat for the final layer...

Dont make it out to sound difficult - it really isn''t tricky stuff to use!

mabbs

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I also wanted a smooth finish to the rear of my carbon fibre pre-preg seats. The easiest way to acheive this is to spray them. The process was to flat them back with 240 grit, then used a high build polyester based primer to get a smooth surface. They were as rough if not rougher than GRP seat backs before paint. Then finshed with the colour coat and lacquer. Went with the Mclaren chrome paint to fit the scheme of my car:

40inches

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabbs
I also wanted a smooth finish to the rear of my carbon fibre pre-preg seats. The easiest way to acheive this is to spray them. The process was to flat them back with 240 grit, then used a high build polyester based primer to get a smooth surface. They were as rough if not rougher than GRP seat backs before paint. Then finshed with the colour coat and lacquer. Went with the Mclaren chrome paint to fit the scheme of my car:

Wow! Superb!

scootz

posted on 10/3/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Looks really good... who did you get the seats from?

It's Evolution Baby!

andy996tt

posted on 16/3/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
JK composites seats dont have a Gel coat back but they have a very neat pattern which I think looks fine
mabbs

posted on 17/3/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Looks really good... who did you get the seats from?

One of my customers:

http://streamlinecarbon.com/v2/products-page/seats/sc1-carbon-fibre-racing-seat/

Very good quality

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.