Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2004 MK Indy Busa Project
yellowcab

posted on 4/5/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
ahh funny you should mention that - in the process of finding a way of making as big as air box as possible, with a cubic air capacity of at least 8.5cu/litres.

we made one which was 5.5 but didn't favour it as it was too restrictive, so ditched it and started again...

this is where we are upto on AutoCAD, so we know precise dimensions, angles and capacity that will fit inside the engine bay, and clear the bonnet & vent...

this is the new design... which keeps the original air filter in situ - which in turn will mean that I can leave the front leading edge that will 'butt' up to the bonnet vent open

This has a capacity of 9.42cu/litres of air

[Edited on 4/5/12 by yellowcab]

jaik

posted on 6/5/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd let you know I'm enjoying this thread, keep up the good work, it's giving me some great ideas for when I get mine

[Edited on 6/5/12 by jaik]

yellowcab

posted on 6/5/12 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers!

Wanted: Hayabusa updated clutch.

Trip home from Stoneleigh didn't quite go to plan, clutch decided to depart and smash into thousands of pieces after a spirited drive again... lol

hashtag/bagofspanners

Proby

posted on 6/5/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Spotted your car today at Stoneleigh, looked as good in the flesh! sorry to hear about the clutch, if its like changing a blade clutch (which I'm sure it can't be much different), then its a piece of cake!
yellowcab

posted on 6/5/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Music to my ears as always Proby!

Thanks for your photos on your gear indicator btw, very very helpful!!!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Its always a good idea aswell to change the oil and filter, after your clutch has gone like that, bits of it get everywhere
noc231073

posted on 6/5/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just fit a genuine Suzuki clutch with heavy duty springs .. Way better than any of the after market upgraded clutches
Any easy to change .

yellowcab

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Wonderful - thanks for the advice...

Paul - it was also my intention to do exactly that as I haven't changed the oil since I've owned the car yet...

So is it as straight forward as removing the end plate, and diving in?

ReMan

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.carlsalter.com/suzuki-service-manuals.asp

As said If you want me to bring a 10mm spanner....

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Yes simple job, drain oil, remove cover, remove clutch bolts and springs, remove plates and steels, then refit new clutch in reverse order. Removing old gasket from the cover and cleaning everything up etc takes longer than changing the clutch itself, but its a only 1 hour job at the most

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

yellowcab

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Helpful as always, this forum!

Thanks Colin, and Paul for the quick run down, so a 10minute job with Colin Reman on the case, yeah?

ReMan

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Shore ting

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

PAUL FISHER

posted on 6/5/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Helpful as always, this forum!

Thanks Colin, and Paul for the quick run down, so a 10minute job with Colin Reman on the case, yeah?

Oh no,, it doe's not work like that, with a fellow locostbuilder round helping out it always turns into a 3 to 4 hour job at least, kettle on time, chin wag time, talk over car mods time etc etc

yellowcab

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Do people with Busas tend to have a list of 'suppliers' in their favourites that they'd like to share?

Nick DV

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Do people with Busas tend to have a list of 'suppliers' in their favourites that they'd like to share?

For genuine Suzuki parts, your local dealer will be the best place, but for stuff like oils, you can shop around - as long as you get the right stuff. For your uprated springs try Big CC or someone like that.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

BobM

posted on 8/5/12 at 04:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

As already stated most stuff from local Suzuki dealer but I also occasionally used to get stuff from Powertec, now changed their name to Radical Performance Engines:

http://www.rpeonline.co.uk/categories/Suzuki-Hayabusa/

Also on Ebay (often have more stuff than currently):
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Powertec-Engineering-Ltd

Also occasionally stuff from BigCC Racing:
http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/category.asp?idCategory=50

Not very Locost but very BEC

yellowcab

posted on 8/5/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies guys, I've bookmarked all those ready for future use.

Weather was nice (ish) today, so I thought I'd drain the oil in preparation for having a look at the condition of the clutch...

So off came the sump plug and oil filter and let it drain... thought I might swell whip off the end cover just to have a nosey at the carnage inside...

I've read theres no need to remove the 3x 5mm alleys, just the 8mms on the outside, so I did that...

Oh, hello... ermmm... thats alarming, one spring and bolt missing, and the remaining five were finger tight - no need for a rachet or spanner here...

So here is the spring... and blind caps from the inside of the black plate

Thought I'd have a mooch for the bolt itself lol, please if you see anything that doesn't look right - just say...

No wear, no swarf, no chunks from any ring gears missing

Off came the sump - no swarf... absolutely none

May replace this lol

I presume the gasket is a standard item?

One of the victims...

Does this look OK still?

Would these grazes concern you?

Looks OK here too

At this point, we were confused as to how the bolt managed to work its way loose, get battered around the engine/ gearbox with no damage, no swarf, and all teeth on all the ring gears still...

Decided to poke my camera up into the engine & box itself to take more detailed pics

Looks fine in here:

No swarf in the box side:

Oh hello Mr. Gilbert

Very clean, no clinks, no marks

Seems as though a bolt was there, as it had poked a hole in the side of the first plate, the piece of alloy to the left is the bit, and the spring obviously

Got rid of the oil... and this little beauty had come out the sump plug hole whilst draining the oil lol

My questions are...

What 'actually' needs replacing, obviously the uprated clutch springs, and bolts... and yes I'll do them up...

Do I need to replace the black outer cover just because some of the innards have been scraped off?

Do I necessarily need to replace the bare alloy plate where the 6 bolts pass through because of the hole? I'm guessing not as its all a wet system anyway...

Any advice, or warnings, or photos that are alarming - please say!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Olz

[Edited on 8/5/12 by yellowcab]

Nick DV

posted on 8/5/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what to advise re the results of the bolt/spring coming out, but first impressions to my very untrained eye, is that you got away lightly.

Now that your sump is off, and I can see how shallow it is, I can't believe that you have had no oil starvation problems! Has the car been on a circuit or just fast road use? Maybe it says something for the 'Busa oil system.

Cheers, Nick

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/5/12 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me you have been lucky, no real damage done, if the clutch was ok before the bolt came out (ie was not slipping) you could just get away with springs and bolts, torque them up to the correct setting which is not very much, only about 26 ftlbs but check in the manual, alot of people over tighten them, snap them or stretch them.
While you have the plates out you may aswell micrometer them up to see how worn they are.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/5/12 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just add I would just reuse the alloy clutch cover, no real damage done to it
And the grazes/scratch marks on the basket are just grinder marks from the manufacturing process to remove casting marks.

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

ReMan

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
See it's dead easy is'nt it

To echo Paul, I'd re-use it all, even the gasket.

Just need a new set of springs and bolts
My guess someone who'se stripped one of those alloy? bolts before ( I have the t shirt) has been too careful tightening them up?
Check them all but otherwisse get it back together pronto

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

yellowcab

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps for all your help and advice.

You're right, just going to replace springs with RPE 10% updated ones, and a new bolt. :-)

Oh, bought a new sump pan too lol

BobM

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV
Now that your sump is off, and I can see how shallow it is, I can't believe that you have had no oil starvation problems! Has the car been on a circuit or just fast road use? Maybe it says something for the 'Busa oil system.

It's a dry sump, isn't it?

BobM

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
What 'actually' needs replacing, obviously the uprated clutch springs, and bolts... and yes I'll do them up...

Do I need to replace the black outer cover just because some of the innards have been scraped off?

Do I necessarily need to replace the bare alloy plate where the 6 bolts pass through because of the hole? I'm guessing not as its all a wet system anyway...

Any advice, or warnings, or photos that are alarming - please say!

I'd say you've been a lucky boy

I agree with the others, all you need to replace is the bolt and spring.

Looking at your pics, the damage to the pressure plate and the outer cover look purely cosmetic. The steel plate I could see looked pristine with no signs of bluing. Your basket looks in good shape too - when they wear they get grooves around the inside which cause the plates to stick in them and you get a grabby/juddery clutch. I've reused sump gaskets many times before without problem.

Nick DV

posted on 9/5/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM
quote:
Originally posted by Nick DV

It's a dry sump, isn't it?

Doesn't look like it cos the hose is only linking the to outlet ports on it. They don't connect to anything!

Cheers, Nick

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.