Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative To Sikaflex 291
mistergrumpy

posted on 3/3/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative To Sikaflex 291

Does anyone know of an equal lternative to Sikaflex 291 for bonding steel panels together? They'll be the panels on my van which I'll be bonding the windows onto.
I've tried using Sikaflex EBT which was supposed to stick metal. It's next to useless!

daniel mason

posted on 3/3/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
What about tiger seal? Will that do what you need it to?

balidey

posted on 3/3/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
At work we use Sika 252 but whatever you use, you really need a clean, grease-free and preferably primered surface

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/3/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I can't get Tigerseal around here either. I've just been to Euro Car Parts as they advertise Sikaflex 221 but they had none when I got there and I'm still stuck with a hole in my van now.
The insides of the panels have some kind of primered surface as oppose to bare metal so I guess I'll have to clean the old gunk out before retrying. Any ideas on how to get it all clean? Thinners? White spirit?

Chippy

posted on 3/3/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have found Evostick "Sticks like S**t" works well, and is usually easy to get hold of. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

PSpirine

posted on 3/3/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you want to use Sika 291? It's industrial for a reason! (I haven't checked the cost of alternatives to see whether they're much cheaper or not?)
mistergrumpy

posted on 3/3/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
I do want to use 291 as it seems to be proven to work but I'm struggling to get hold of it without ordering off the net and I wanted the job done today as I've had a huge hole in my van for a week now and I start nights next week. I think I may have found some in Manchester Arndale Centre tomorrow now.
I've never used sticks like s**t. Will it bond metal?

40inches

posted on 4/3/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I do want to use 291 as it seems to be proven to work but I'm struggling to get hold of it without ordering off the net and I wanted the job done today as I've had a huge hole in my van for a week now and I start nights next week. I think I may have found some in Manchester Arndale Centre tomorrow now.

Probably, but it hardens off, not what you want for fixing a window in, I would have thought.

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/3/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I won't be fixing the window in with this stuff. This is just to bond the inner and outer panels together having now cut a hole in the side door. I'll be bonding the glass onto the lip of these bonded panels with proper windscreen stuff, so not too much different than putting a windscreen in really.
Chippy

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's what I used to stick my front wings on, so yes sticks to both metal and GRP. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

jacko

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi where i work repairing buses we use INDASA polyurethane sealant to glue all the panels on the sides of the buses
we have found it to be very good [ just like the other makes ]
Its best to use the proper sealer for windscreens but we have used the above when we have run out of screen sealer the screen never fell out
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andy996tt

posted on 16/3/12 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Seal Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant - Black | eBay
loggyboy

posted on 16/3/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I do want to use 291 as it seems to be proven to work but I'm struggling to get hold of it without ordering off the net and I wanted the job done today as I've had a huge hole in my van

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.