Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fix up my compressor Thread
matt.c

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Fix up my compressor Thread

Basically to cut a long story short i was given a free compressor, bloke said it dont work. Got it home plugged it in and nothing apart from a humming noise. After a few mins of banging various parts with a hammer it sprung into life

Seems to build up and hold pressure ok. Bit grumbly sounding and a few air leaks from where you plug the airline in. Have noticed that the tank has good pressure but at the airline end it has not much pressure like its blocked or something?

Now im thinking of giving it a bit of a service and get it back to former glory but i dont know anything about compresers.

What would be servicable items and what is needed? Does it need oil etc?

Here are a few pics. could anyone tell me what each part is and how to service it.

Cheers

Matt

theconrodkid

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
looks like the metal pipe from cylinder to tank is kinked?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

austin man

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cant see the kinked pie helping thing as this will restrict flow into the tank so pressure would not be replaced quick enough

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

daviep

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
The motor is not starting because the start capacitor is goosed would be my guess, you can actually see that it looks as if it has ruptured on the last pic.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

matt.c

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
The motor is not starting because the start capacitor is goosed would be my guess, you can actually see that it looks as if it has ruptured on the last pic.

Cheers
Davie

That just a plastic cover which is broken and the kinked pipe doesnt seem to stop the tank holding pressure. Ie pressure doesnt drop much in the tank when the airline end runs out of air.

matt.c

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
is the pipe a replacable item? Where would i get one?

daviep

posted on 3/3/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
That just a plastic cover which is broken and the kinked pipe doesnt seem to stop the tank holding pressure. Ie pressure doesnt drop much in the tank when the airline end runs out of air.

Chances are it still needs a new capacitor, when it's buzzing if you give the fan a spin in either direction the motor shoud start up (watch fingers etc).

It's buzzing because the rotor is balanced in the magnetic field, the capacitor offsets the field a litttle in one direction so that the rotor begins to turn and as soon as the motor starts to rotate it should function properly.

Cheeers
Davie

mark chandler

posted on 3/3/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I,m with Davie, before I got to his comments a new capacitor required, it will say the rating on the side then Ebay is your friend.

When they are stuffed the motor will struggle to start, once spinning it will lack power and slow right down under load and get hot.

If you can get a military grade oil filled one all the better.

Regards Mark

David Jenkins

posted on 4/3/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
If I had an old compressor of uncertain history then my first job would be to test the air tank - you would have no idea how much the inside is corroded, or how often the previous owner drained the water out of the tank after use.

When I did model steam engines we used to block all but one of the holes in the boiler, fill it to the brim with water, then pump more water in until the pressure was 150% of normal max working pressure. If the boiler ruptured then all that happened was you got wet - if it had air inside instead of water then it would have burst explosively. I don't know if it's possible (or sensible) to test an air receiver in the same way?

The alternatives are more expensive - proper lab testing with ultrasonics, etc.

matt.c

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
In the second pic, what is this? I know it controls the amount of air out to the airline but i want to know what its called?

daviep

posted on 5/3/12 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
In the second pic, what is this? I know it controls the amount of air out to the airline but i want to know what its called?

Pressure regulator

matt.c

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

matt.c

posted on 5/3/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Where can i get spares for compressors? Thanks

Confused but excited.

posted on 5/3/12 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
If you have pressure in the tank but not much out of the air line, the regulator may be backed off. Check the simple things first.
As for the kinked pipe. Make one. Keep the nuts and you may find the pipe has conical brass/steel ends hard soldered on. Cut these off and drill them out, braze on to the new pipe AFTER you slip the nuts on first.
I did one like this recently to replace an oil line for a mates old tractor.
If you are building a car, a piece of pipe is a piece of p155.

[Edited on 5/3/12 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

MikeR

posted on 5/3/12 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
machine mart do some spares - could be worth trying.
dhutch

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins If the boiler ruptured then all that happened was you got wet - if it had air inside instead of water then it would have burst explosively.
And if it had been half full of superheated water (ie, in operation) it would have taken the roof off!
- I dont know if said test is commonly used for other presure vessals aside from boilers, but there is no reason why the test wouldnt work.

Daniel

femster87

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
we generally use the hydrostatic (water) pressure tests for our pipelines at 1.5 X working pressure.

[Edited on 6/3/12 by femster87]

matt.c

posted on 11/3/12 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have found out the regulator is faulty. They dont seem to make this type any more so i will have to get one of those water trap ones.

Been thinking of getting the bent pipe replaced. Cant make one as i dont have the flaring tool to make the flared ends. Anyone know where i can buy a replacement pipe?

Hugh_

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'd start with the people who made it http://www.charnwood.net/ProductDesc.jsp?cat=29&stockref=C105

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.