Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 500c twin air
woodster

posted on 4/3/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
500c twin air

Just wanted to share with the forum ......... We've had a great weekend , on Friday we picked up a new toy for mrs woodster a fiat 500c twin air. What a great fun little car 2cylinder 875cc turbo engine with a fantastic engine sound , I think we must have driven under most of the bridges in Bolton , roof down engine roaring .. I know that there's a problem with the fiat mpg figures but to be honest she won't be doing that many miles ... All round a top fun little shopping trolley miles and miles of smiles
PSpirine

posted on 4/3/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
It'll get even better once it breaks in and loosens up a bit (don't thrash it to death until then!)

As long as it puts a smile on your face, 30mpg - or whatever stupid consumption it has - doesn't matter

Enjoy

Ninehigh

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the twin air win an award for being efficient?

wylliezx9r

posted on 4/3/12 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Didn't the twin air win an award for being efficient?

Correct, when doing the government figures on the rollers. In real life does in the 30's.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

phelpsa

posted on 5/3/12 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
We've got a 500 1.4 16v and similarly it sounds brilliant! Not that quick, refined or fuel efficient but a good fun little hatch Shame my sister's now claimed it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 5/3/12 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Odd, I'm sure my 106 gets high 30's...

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Even that is poor for the size of the car but nothing like as bad as the FIAT our two old Rover 75s which are 1.5 times the weight of the Fiat or a106 never go below 30 mpg on petrol no matter how they driven but can never better 32mpg.

The wifes 1.4 Rover 45 103ps always returns 38 mpg and directly comparable to the FIAT or 106 my daughters Rover 25 82ps returns mid 40s.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

woodster

posted on 5/3/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
there's been quite a few complaints to Fiat about the MPG figures but like i said we bought the car for the fun factor more than money saving

http://www.fiat.co.uk/Community/forums/thread/11765.aspx

owelly

posted on 5/3/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
On a recent 300 mile trip from Scarborough to Oulton Park and back towing an MGF on a heavy trailer, my mates Insignia averaged 36.6mpg. Never felt the need to wind the windows down and turn the stereo off going under bridges or through tunnels though...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 7/3/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I heard tale of one FIAT twin air only returning 22mpg.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

phelpsa

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well I drove our 16v like every Italian car should be and never got under 35 mpg on a tank. Struggled to get much over 40 though. I would imagine that the twin air is pretty similar as it is the same power, weight and shape.

FuryRebuild

posted on 8/3/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
We have a Mitsubishi I-car. One of the microcars imported by Mitsubishi (900 a year). 700cc three pot turbo automatic. Again, miles of smiles. It's also a head turner, being so odd looking. 50 mpg promised 35 actual. We drive it like we stole it.
woodster

posted on 10/3/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update ....... 230 mile on the clock now of let's say enthusiastic driving and according to the computer on the dash an average of 27 mpg ..... As I've said before the wife won't do much mileage but heres hoping the figure gets a bit closer to the 68 mpg that fiat claim ..... Still loving the car anyway
paulf

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't this supposed to be one of the super economical , ultra low emission cars that gets free road tax? if so how do they get away with it?
Paul

Toltec

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
Isn't this supposed to be one of the super economical , ultra low emission cars that gets free road tax? if so how do they get away with it?
Paul

It is designed to pass the test, which has little to do with how cars are really used.

This is the urban section of the test, you can clearly see that 0 - 50kph takes 20+ seconds, who drives like that?

More info here http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/ece_eudc.php, sorry about the source

[Edited on 10/3/12 by Toltec]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.