Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rivnuts for seat
chris666

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
rivnuts for seat

Would rivnuts be good enough to bolt down the seat runners to pass the IVA?They would be inserted in 1"floor box section.
Chris

A1

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
id say so.. use m8 ones, theyll be fine.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I personally would not like to think my seats are only held in by rivnuts I have used bolts through the chassis into the seats direct.

Just my personal opinion you understand

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

ReMan

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
H'mm whilst I'm sure they'd probably be OK spec wise, I think I'd prefer good old nuts and bolts.
The other train of thought though might be that the seat barely needs holding at all because the belts are holding it and the driver in place?

[Edited on 5/3/12 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

loggyboy

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
decent size rivnut might mean pretty big holes in chassis. would probably be ok tho as seat doesnt do much.
bi22le

posted on 5/3/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
My track day seat is not bolted in at all. It sits on a metal cross frame to keeep its position and angle then its a very tight squeeze to get it to the bottom. Me on top plus harnessed in, it aint going nowhere!

Some thing tells me the RGB racers dont fix in their expanding foam seats either, how could they.

You must consider that neather are going through IVA.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ashg

posted on 5/3/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
i failed my iva for securing a brake line pressure switch with riv nuts so i doubt you will pass sing them for a seat. i personally wouldn't feel safe using them for my seats.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

iank

posted on 5/3/12 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
decent size rivnut might mean pretty big holes in chassis. would probably be ok tho as seat doesnt do much.

But arguably the chassis rail will be...

OP: I certainly wouldn't use aluminium ones, but steel ones might be up to it (I'd talk to VOSA before using something that might be difficult to 'fix'.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

loggyboy

posted on 5/3/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
i failed my iva for securing a brake line pressure switch with riv nuts so i doubt you will pass sing them for a seat. i personally wouldn't feel safe using them for my seats.

On what basis?

mad-butcher

posted on 6/3/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Rivnuts are great IF you really have confidence in how well you've fitted them, I've helped quite a few people with their car, and a few times I've had to suggest they drill them out and do them again
several reasons
overtightened, wrong type (I much prefer the serated ones) not tightened enough, ( I've had people say well the bolt tightened up OK but I can't get it out because the rivnuts spinning )

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.