Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Diff Swap In Turbo Busa Westfield
rob_king

posted on 7/3/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra Diff Swap In Turbo Busa Westfield

Hi all, first post. I see there is plenty of knowledge on here of Sierra diffs but i couldn't find an answer to my exact problem so hopefully someone can help.

I'm changing from a 3.9 LSD 7.5" Sierra diff with Lobro joints to a 3.3 non LSD 7" diff with push in joints. (or at least i hope i am if it's possible)
The question is what needs to be done in order to get these components to fit?

madteg

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Why not put the 3.3 crown wheel and pinion in the LSD diff
DIY Si

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's possible, but the 7.5" and7" diffs have different case sizes, so it may not slot straight in.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rob_king

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
that would be an ideal solution but i dont think that is possible. I was led to believe that crown wheel and pinion are different on the 7" and the 7.5" and not interchangeable. or was it that the LSD is not interchangeable between the 705" and the 7". I cant remember. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Wadders

posted on 7/3/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth digging deep and buying a Quaife or Tran-x kit for your 3.3 diff, sell the existing viscous LSD to go towards it.
Personally i don't think the viscous diffs are much use in a lightweight car, especially when most have a rake of miles on them.

Can't fault the Quaife unit, but have heard the Tran-x is even better.

Al.

CNHSS1

posted on 7/3/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rob_king
Hi all, first post. I see there is plenty of knowledge on here of Sierra diffs but i couldn't find an answer to my exact problem so hopefully someone can help.

I'm changing from a 3.9 LSD 7.5" Sierra diff with Lobro joints to a 3.3 non LSD 7" diff with push in joints. (or at least i hope i am if it's possible)
The question is what needs to be done in order to get these components to fit?

may be interested in the 7.5" LSD if you decide to sell? drop me a u2u

Cheers
CNH

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

rob_king

posted on 7/3/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
the Quaife option just isn't a runner for me based on cost i'm afraid
snapper

posted on 7/3/12 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
The 7" diff is called that because the crown wheel is 7" diameter
The 7 1/2" diff is guess what 7 1/2 " diameter swap not possible.
Lobro to push fit needs some shaft modification as the push fit shafts are smaller than lobro.
You can fit lobro ends to push fit shafts but need the Desiel push fit shafts, I've been looking for years.
There are rumours you can fit lobro stubs to push fit diffs, we have for a Super Stock oval but it needed some adjustment as the stubs locked the planet wheels
The option for you is do without the LSD or put the crown wheel and pinion from the 3.3 into a 3.6 7" LSD flog on your 7 1/2"
Nothing is simple with a kit car.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rob_king

posted on 7/3/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
ok that's most helpful. I had accepted that i was going to have to loose the LSD. Assuming i cant get Diesel push in shafts it sounds like putting the lobro stubs into the 7" push in diff is the only option left. You mentioned some adjustment was necessary, could you elaborate a little?
atomic

posted on 8/3/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dont fancy the cost of a Quaife ATB..then take a look at the EATON Truetrac
http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti/driveline/differentials/index.html

Liam

posted on 8/3/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
3.36 7.5" diff

Then swap over the LSD.

[Edited on 8/3/12 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rob_king

posted on 8/3/12 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
oo that looks perfect...if it is a 3.3. seller contacted. Thanks for the heads up.
rob_king

posted on 9/3/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
bought it.
Liam

posted on 9/3/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Deffo a 3.3 - cool!

So now all you need to do is stick the LSD mech into the 3.3 case and have yourself a 3.3 LSD.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rob_king

posted on 12/3/12 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody know the weight of the 7.5" diff? i'm guessing 35-40kgs. Getting some crazy prices to get it shipped to Ireland
Liam

posted on 12/3/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
A 7" is around 26kg, so add a lilttle more for a 7.5" and packaging and that's probably about right.

Parcel monkey?

rob_king

posted on 12/3/12 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
wow they want over £100! there seems to be some good deals on ebay but most have a 30kg weight limit
Liam

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yikes!

Hmmm if you ask the seller to ditch the rear rubber mount, drain it and maybe even take the flanges out into a seperate small package, the diff itself could come under 30kg if that's some sort of silly price threshold?

Wonder if the Locostbuilders delivery service extends to the Emerald Isles - maybe someone is planning a holiday by ferry?

rob_king

posted on 13/3/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Got it sorted through PPL logistics via ebay. £26. 00 which is a bit more like it!
Liam

posted on 13/3/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.