Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stopping an oil leak from a oil filter sandwich plate (with gasket)
BigMac

posted on 7/3/12 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Stopping an oil leak from a oil filter sandwich plate (with gasket)

Hey guys

Can anyone recommend a way of stopping an oil leak between an oil filter sandwich plate and the engine block (gasket in between)?

I'm planning on taking my daily driver (1990 Eunos Roadster) on a track day or two, so have gauges for oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature.

The oil temperature and pressure readings come from a sandwich plate fitted between the block and the oil filter. I fitted the plate, making sure that the gasket between the plate and the block was seated correctly (also applied a little oil to the face of the gasket that meets the block). Re-fitted the oil filter, left it running for a while then took it for a drive. Came back and oil was leaking from the gasket- for now I've just taken the whole arrangement off and put the filter back on.

Is there anything I can do to stop the leak, should I be using liquid gasket between the plate and the block? Someone recommended dropping the gasket in some boiling water and letting it cool, the idea being it will soften the rubber- but I'm not sure whether that'll work?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance all,

Ben.

tomgregory2000

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
loctite bule instant gasket

nice simple fix, i did it on my sand plate on my nissan engine, leaked like a bp oil disaster with the o-ring in place, so took out the o-ring and replaced with the instant gasket, no more leak

acb2713

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Blue Hylomar

Use Blue Hylomar on each surface.
Link here: Blue Hylomar

I have used this in a number of engine rebuilds over the last thirty years+ and it has never failed me once.

Tiger Super Six

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Is the sandwich plate completely flat on both sides? I had an oil filter housing which leaked and it was just due to the fact that it had a manufacturing fault. Sent it back and it was re-done, then no problem.

If you have just bought it I would check with the manufacturer.

Mark

Tiger Avon

BigMac

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks so far for the replies, I was going to use liquid gasket and my next question was which one to use!

In terms of the sandwich plate, it has an engraved section for the gasket to sit within- the gasket has two raised ridges that locate it into the plate- so it's not a simple o-ring:

I have a feeling replacing the whole thing with liquid gasket wouldn't be effective- I'm thinking liquid gasket on both sides of a properly cleaned gasket and sandwich plate should do it?

acb2713

posted on 7/3/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Give Blue Hylomar a try. You will not be disappointed. You do need to coat each surface.

In your case, coat the block, each side of the gasket and the mating face of the sandwich plate.

The best part of it is that it is non-setting. If you need to dismantle the part at a future date, it all comes away easily and without damage, even to the gasket itself. At least, that has been my experience of using the stuff.

procomp

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Personally i wouldn't introduce hylomar anywhere near the oil system.
IS the gasket being use the correct one IE the wide face and not a cheap version IE like whats on an oil filter as in narrow width.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BigMac

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Matt - the gasket looks pretty heavy duty, it's definately wider and thicker in construction than a normal oil filter o-ring. I'm wondering if a couple of heat cycles whilst it was on have caused it to expand and shrink enough to let some oil through...
tomgregory2000

posted on 7/3/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
those double o-ring fat washer setups are shit, throw it in the bin and get 1 o-ring to fit the smaller size groove and fill the bigger groove with the instant gasket, I did this on mine and it was fine afterwards

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.