Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smiths Fuel Gauge - Smoking
chrisbeale

posted on 12/3/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Smiths Fuel Gauge - Smoking

I have finally got round to finishing off my dash and turned it on to check all is well. everything seems ok, that i can check without running the engine. I tried the fuel gauge (sender of tank - a bit dubious about electrics in fuel tanks etc) it worked from zero, climed to full then came back down again when i manipulated the sender. i then moved the sender up and down a few times rather quickly to check there were no sparks, looked at the gauge and the needle had gone and smoke was coming from it. I turned power off and the needle appeared from beyonf the full mark and came back down to zero. I believe i have the correct sender, 20 ohm full 240 ohm empty. I took a guess at which terminal connected to the regulator and which to the sender but it worked so i think its right (no markings).
Anyone got any ideas why it did this? Have i Fooked the guage? was i moving the sender too quickly for it to cope?
I did a resistance check on the sender and there are a few dead spots where there is a break between the arm and the coils but i cant see this causing it to smoke.

Hope someone out there an help me

cheers

chris.

mark chandler

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The gauge has a bimetallic strip (bends with heat) with a heating wire wrapped around it, you must have put a full battery on it and fried the wire, you may be lucky if it rises when you connect up but doubtful.

It should also probally need to work via a voltage regulator or will rise and fall with battery voltage.

chrisbeale

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
It goes through the regulator so don't think it could be that.
rusty nuts

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Old Smiths fuel and temperature gauges used a voltage stabiliser , do you have one fitted?
chrisbeale

posted on 12/3/12 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, has stabilizer/regulator.
dlatch

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
pretty sure i had a fuel gauge die just like that and it was the regulator that failed causing the strip to burn out in the gauge
i would be checking out from the reg next to make sure.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisbeale

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
ok, cheers will check the regulator this evening.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.