Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT testers help please
mrwibble

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
MOT testers help please

Hi guys, long time no see. hope all are well, I have a little one fit to burst from his mother right now so wish me luck!

Anyway the reason for the post is it has occurred to me that my mk focus 1.8 petrol may fail its MOT this year after new rules from Europe.

A little background to car: its an 03 plate car that I bought nearly 6 years ago as a Cat D write off that had been repaired. At the time of repair 300mm front rotars were fitted to the front and the ABS was disconnected.

I have as far as I can work out an ABS light, seat belt pretensioner, airbag and possibly a power steering light which don't light during the test sequence at ignition.

After an initial search it seems the seat belt pretensioner/airbag could possibly be solved by cleaning the contacts of the wiring under the drivers seat. Obviously the ABS light won't be sorted unless it works, but as ABS was fitted as an option, I was wondering if a neat extraction of the ABS wiring and a claim it was never fitted might bypass that one. I could check the bulbs for the others and go for an early MOT/ bite the bullet and get it all properly looked at...

are warning lights ever fitted to cars without the item, as an attempt at cost saving by manufacturing one unit?

any help or advice appreciated.

Ed.

Ninehigh

posted on 12/3/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine the dashboard is a single unit across the board, along with the bulb fittings.. But without the wiring behind it

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You would have remove all the wiring and abs acuator/ecu and pipework!!!!!...
Slimy38

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know whether it applies to Ford, but the various options are sometimes enabled and disabled in the ECU. So the same ECU can be used for multiple versions of the car with different kit.

I only remember it because I know some people have swapped their airbag/pretensioner equipped seats for Sparco or similar, and simply disabled the relevant setting in the ECU. but my background is VW rather than Ford.

mrwibble

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2

well that doesn't sound positive, surely be easier to try and make it work?!

mrwibble

posted on 12/3/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I don't know whether it applies to Ford, but the various options are sometimes enabled and disabled in the ECU. So the same ECU can be used for multiple versions of the car with different kit.

I only remember it because I know some people have swapped their airbag/pretensioner equipped seats for Sparco or similar, and simply disabled the relevant setting in the ECU. but my background is VW rather than Ford.

If the lights there but doesn't come on during ignition sequence its a fail as I understand it

paulf

posted on 12/3/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
It would probably be easier to arrange a feed to the abs light to make it come on with the oil or charging light and hope that the tester does not realise its not operating for the correct time and sequence, not that I would do such a thing.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/12 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
ABS only became a compulsory fitment from 2007 onwards so if you remove any trace that the vehicle once had ABS (much easier said than done) I think you should be OK. All the ABS plumbing and the ABS unit must be removed and the wiring adjusted accordingly

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

scudderfish

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
There has got to be a market for a little black box to drive these lights......
britishtrident

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
There has got to be a market for a little black box to drive these lights......

Problem with is if you do that somebody gets in to drive the car will then assume it has working ABS and then proceeds to have a big accident, all the ingredient for insurance company not paying out and law suits flying in all directions.

[Edited on 13/3/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mrwibble

posted on 13/3/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input, the notion of rewiring the abs light had occured... But then i'd have to replace the wiring to make it look like it did something...

If I did claim it never had ABS, I wondered how close they would look, and how obvious it would be...

guess if its plumbed in to the brake lines its gonna be a right pain to take it all out.

third option I guess to actually get it working again, the front suspension was replaced at repair, which included front uprights, with bigger discs and calipers from a st170 so i don't know how much work that would be assuming it would be compatible with the ABS hard wear thats installed.

Any further thoughts gratefully received.

Ed.

AntonUK

posted on 13/3/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
forgive my possible stupid question but why was the ABS disabled due to fitting of bigger discs?

Can it not just re-switched back on for the MOT?

Build Photos Here

mrwibble

posted on 13/3/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK
forgive my possible stupid question but why was the ABS disabled due to fitting of bigger discs?

Can it not just re-switched back on for the MOT?

I don't know why it was disabled, I assume it has something to do with uprights from an st170, tbh I was a bit of a pup when i bought it and didn't look too close.

literally the wires have been cut so i don't know why it wasn't reattached, does make me a bit nervous about the quality of the rest of it - i.e is there any air bags in the thing!

I assume ABS is activated by a sensor in the hub?

[Edited on 13/3/12 by mrwibble]

mrwibble

posted on 13/3/12 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
further thoughts, I suspect the ABS wiring is related to the caliper and hub from the st170. and my MP3 model was never fitted with it. How do I tell ?

if it wasn't fitted that leaves me with a seat belt pretensioner light and the ! in the cog seen above the engine warning light.

The 2nd airbag light with the line through it doesn't seem to have an LED...

The traction control light above doesn't work, but that wouldn't be installed if I don't have ABS...

[Edited on 13/3/12 by mrwibble]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.