Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC advice
roadrunner

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
BEC advice

I have been stripping down a ZX10r engine I got fairly cheep, due to a problem of jumping out of 5th gear.
Anyway, after waiting for a bad back to heal, I have found this.

Could this be the cause of the problem. There is also a very slight bend down the length also.
If so, I am fairly chuffed as its an easy fix.
Brad.

Hellfire

posted on 13/3/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Brad, I suspect that is a symptom of the problem rather than the cause. Check the gear faces carefully for any signs of wear.

Phil

roadrunner

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a quick look Phil, and there doesn't look like there is any wear on the faces.
I maybe should of said that the engine was used with a Flat Shifter, which I have sinse been told that they are gearbox breakers.

MK9R

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Probably the dogs worn, this was the common cause on the old blade engines. If the corners of the dogs look slightly worn that will be the issue. I bet a flat shifter would be the perfect way to wear the dogs, just like changing down the box without matching the revs and engine speed

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
the fork shoudn't touch the dogteeth, is it bent that way to make them touch?

Is the fork that is involved with 4th/5th change? (I assume the zx10r box has 3 forks?) - if its badly bent, and its the correct fork then there is a chance its allowing the gear to jump back out... but as has been said, it could also be a problem elsewhere.

roadrunner

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
When you say "DOGS" do you mean these.

Brad

MK9R

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, and that looks fecked

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
roadrunner

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
But surely, when the dogs are together, the contact area is alot larger than that small point.
MK9R

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
But surely, when the dogs are together, the contact area is alot larger than that small point.

I thought the same when I rebuilt my blade, the corners were just shiney (no where near as bad as those on yours), but I showed them Andy Bates and he said they were shot. I replaced them and it worked perfectlty again.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

roadrunner

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Austin.
I shall be chasing some more bargins now.
Brad.

MK9R

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
You will need a ndew fork too, also check the barrel they run in

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

roadrunner

posted on 14/3/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I guess you mean the selector drum. I have given that a very thorough check over, as that was a possible cause of the jumping gear.
MK9R

posted on 14/3/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
I guess you mean the selector drum. I have given that a very thorough check over, as that was a possible cause of the jumping gear.

yes, sorry for terminology

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/3/12 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Consider getting the replacements undercut??

I know not if it helps with the ZX10, but certainly my GSXR's are far better for it, really positive engagement.

Main problem with the GSXR gearbox's (apart from root-stripping the teeth), has been the central fork on the drum suffering wear when used with a Flatshifter-type device. Takes a while though, the fork goes a lovely shade of purple before it eventually breaks.

Oh for a lovely reliabubble blade...

grazo

posted on 25/3/12 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Bec advice

Hi Quickshifters damage your gearbox is common question/ staement we hear, we put this exact question to one of our customers last year using our Flatshifter Expert system (Clutchless up & down gearshifts) in his bike engined race car but more importantly is also the CEO of a large gearbox manufacturing and rebuilding company in the USA.

Hi Graham,
VIR In-car video is up on YouTube!! Check it out and it will show you how awesome your system works.
It worked great at VIR! We won both races and we set a new track record by 1.1 seconds! (Expert system)
Feel free to use it or any of my videos for your promotion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfoQ01ZoxcY&feature=channel_video_title

Thank you,
Lawrence Loshak
Vice President of Manufacturing
'10 DSR National Champion USA
'09,'10 Cendiv DSR Champion
'05,'07 Cendiv EP Champion
'06 P National Champion USA
Question to Lawrence (above) a gearbox manufacturer / repairer & racer.
Lawrence we hear it often said that quickshifters can damage your gearbox, have you stripped and checked your gearbox after a championship winning season using the Flatshifter Expert system. any comments please??

Hello Graham,
We have not seen any abnormal wear beyond what a racing does to transmission. It actually looks better than average.
Other than that, we have won every race except one where we decided to run intermediate tires in heavy rain and finished 4th. We also have set a new track record every race weekend. Been quite a fantastic 2011 season.

Thank you,
Lawrence Loshak
Vice President of Manufacturing

"ETE-Reman - Your Better Than New Choice"

Minicooper

posted on 25/3/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Consider getting the replacements undercut??

I know not if it helps with the ZX10, but certainly my GSXR's are far better for it, really positive engagement.

Main problem with the GSXR gearbox's (apart from root-stripping the teeth), has been the central fork on the drum suffering wear when used with a Flatshifter-type device. Takes a while though, the fork goes a lovely shade of purple before it eventually breaks.

Oh for a lovely reliabubble blade...

Hello Motorcycle_Mayhem,
Do you know how reliable the GSXR1000's are or not, over the fuel injected yamaha R1 01-03 engine. Any preference regarding which year GSXR1000 is the one to go for?

Cheers
David

roadrunner

posted on 12/4/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well , I managed to get a full set of used internals for the ZX10r gearbox from the USA, £150, and that includes delivery. The parts are like new.
So last night I managed to get in the garage and start stripping and cleaning at the same time. It's just like a big Mechano set.
I will post some pictures up soon, and a list of what I had to do.
Brad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.