Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying Mondeo - what to look out for?
whitestu

posted on 15/3/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Buying Mondeo - what to look out for?

I'm on the lookout for a replacement tin top, and it will probably be a mondeo. Ideally a 2.0 Diesel, but possibly 1.8, between 2008 and 2010.

Any tips on what to look for would be appreciated! I know the DMF's can be an issue on most modern diesels.

Also, what's the view on higher mileages on these, that is 100k plus?

Thanks

Stu

edsco

posted on 15/3/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Go for a 2.0, otherwise you'll only end up disappointed. 100k on a 3-4 year old car is quite a lot. Not sure when the belt is due but check. Its either 100k or 120k i think. Added expense. Get an estate...ii have had saloon and hatch of the recent model and estate is fair more versatile in my book.

Try go for a base (ish model) like Zetec that has lots of toys. Better all round deal.

My estate is coming up 100k and is still tight as drum to be fair. Good solid car....not that i am bias in any way ;-)

edsco

JeffHs

posted on 15/3/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've had an 03 2.0 TDCiEstate since 2004, still only done 84k (I've stopped commuting). I still like the car very much BUT
DMF is making horrible noises, so I'll have to bite the bullet and pay my £800 sooner or later. I had to have a sump - there's about a square inch of vertical face that catches all the road crap and it rotted through - sumps aren't cheap. Mine has been a PITA with dropping into limp mode or sometimes just stopping altogether. So far it always sorts itself with a restart (is the ECU running Windows!). My auto electrician mate laughed his head off when he put his code reader on it - never seen so many faults. I've changed the fuel rail and the EGR valve - given up on reading the codes.

mrwibble

posted on 15/3/12 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
all i know is the latest model (which I assume ur looking at with an 08 plate) is HUGE! bigger than some big german barges. I don't think you can get more car for your money than a ford however, good luck.

[Edited on 15/3/12 by mrwibble]

stevebubs

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Had one of those as a company car at the last place. Did nearly 60k miles in 18 months without a hitch. Cracking car. Easily the equal of a contemporary 5 series for motorway cruising/town runabout. We were so impressed my Dad bought a 6 month old 1.8 diesel zetec (09 plate) when he needed a new car. He's still got it and is extremely happy with it.

Look at zetecs as a minimum, titaniums ideally. Ignore Edge models.

Post Sept 08 should have bluetooth as standard. Titanium and above from same date has DAB as standard - this is probably the single feature I miss most.

If you can find one with USB in the glovebox then this is capable of taking Ipods or memory sticks. Odds are it's also A2DP enabled.

FWIW, I much prefer the estate over other forms...

stevebubs

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
oh ... and if it's got anything above 17s on it then be prepared for a harsh ride... had a tit x with big wheels as a demo and it was a little harsh for a family car.

[Edited on 15/3/12 by stevebubs]

jossey

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
dont get the 1.8

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cam chain, so dont need to worry about cambelt changes just listen for chain rattle.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

stevebubs

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
dont get the 1.8

...why?

Ninehigh

posted on 15/3/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
The 115 hp 2.0 is a little underwhelming at times... I imagine the 1.8 is tractor slow

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just realise at some point from about 80kon it is going to need a DMF, clutch and starter, the DMFs are not near as fragile as they once were but........

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

stevebubs

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
The 115 hp 2.0 is a little underwhelming at times... I imagine the 1.8 is tractor slow

Surprisingly little difference - I've had both as hire cars at various points.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a smax which is a mondeo estate with more weight. The 2.0 is ok but having had a 2.0 focus before hand it feels slow.

Great car and very practical, not sure its more practical in hindsight than the mondeo estate which is cheaper than the smax. You do get a lot for your money but it hasn't got the 'status' symbol of certain german equivilents.

steve m

posted on 16/3/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have 58 mondy estate, 2.0 tdci, goes like stink, tows the caravan so well, you dont even know its on the back
long runs even with a loaded car and van on the back i average 48mpg,
but driving round town/work short journeys is only 34 ish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.