Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body Type in V5c: SPORTS versus CONVERTIBLE
alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 04:38 AM Reply With Quote
Body Type in V5c: SPORTS versus CONVERTIBLE

can anybody of you explain me the difference of "sports" and "convertible" used in the V5c?

most "open" kitcars i owned have been declared as "Sports".

now our german vehicle licensing authority have sent a letter to our MOT - stations to refuse all kitcars with the word "sports" under body-type/model. if the cars would have been declared as "2 seater convertible" or "convertible" than everything would be fine.

for cars titeld as "sports" i have to bring now a prove (letter of manufacturer, old MOT ceritifcates with the word "sports" written) that the car was ever used in that form since the "date of 1st reg" as stated in the v5c.

[Edited on 16/3/12 by alfas]

cliftyhanger

posted on 16/3/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Is this the UK??

I have had loads of old convertibles, many a just down as "two axle rigid body", some sports, some convertible, and the current spitfire project is a saloon!! Guess it had a hardtop when it was registered.

This will be causing grief if they are getting picky about descriptions....for everybody.

gottabedone

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Are the DVLA on bonuses for the amount of work they push through ......or maybe it's a way of preventing redundancies for a few jobsworths with nothing to do

Can't see any benefit to this other than to give the majority of us a hard time. If they've got an issue with their work, they should deal with it and not force the MOT stations to take the flack!

Steve

Slimy38

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I remember asking this sort of question many years ago for production cars, it seemed that regardless of what the car was (saloon, estate, hatchback etc) they were always recorded as saloon. The opinion was that they were trying to avoid having too many descriptions, as it was around the time where manufacturers were using fastback, aeroback etc to make their cars sound good.

I guess 'sports' doesn't really describe the body type, a you can have any sort of sports car, from a single seater up to a monster 4x4.

Perhaps they (VOSA?) should supply a definitive list of body types and let us pick the most appropriate?

loggyboy

posted on 16/3/12 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
What the hell is a local registration institution?
adithorp

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Alfas, life would be a lot easier if you put your location in your profile as (I believe) Germany.

There is no requirement to produce the V5c at MOT in the UK. Never seen anything defining "sports or convertable" from DVLA. As most do not have a roof when IVA/SVA tested or registered, they can't be "convertable" as they are only open topped (or sports?) at that time.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
"What the hell is a local registration institution?"

sorry for my english...it should mean "vehicle licensing authority" in my country (germany)

alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
ah...ok....

does this mean:
a convertible is an open car with a foldable roof which can be closed.

a sports is a open car without any roof

i´m speaking here of kitcars, pre-sva, from the 80ies and 90ies, mostly on q-plates, mainly westfields which came all with windscreen and wipers and "bad weather gear" from the built.

wilkingj

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
The definition will almost certainly have an effect on the insurance.

Wrongly describing it could have insurance implications. Were there to be an accident and the Insurance company start looking for excuses not to pay out, it could cost you very dearly.

So its worth getting the description correct.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Please add your location to your profile, it makes these sorts of questions easier to answer.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
i´ve now checked all v5 copies from my past cars....all seven-type cars, no matter what brand, even my ginetta G4/S4(with windscreen) have been declared as "SPORTS"
loggyboy

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Without knowing the german system is hard to offer any advice on this. Other than send the V5s off to the vehicle licensing authority and ask to have them body type changed to one that meets their approval.
Sounds f****g stupid to me, but since when has being stupid ever stopped any 'vehicle licensing authorities' before.

alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
how should I get the britih V5c changed??

the car is imported to my country with british paperwork (V5c)

if the british V5c says sports our MOT testing stations are advised from their headquarter to refuse testing the car and issuing the necessary paperwork (datasheet) for a later (german) registration.

so a car with "sports" in the original (british) paperwork is in the first place not registrateable over here. (wasnt a problem in the past, since this week its a big problem)

if i can bring a prove that the car has been always run a "sports" than they will do the mot-test.

but with some kits you do not get the full history or also the kit-manufacturer has already ceased trading.

i dont now why our authorities have changed this ... as its sounds very stupid and hairsplitting...also i still can´t believe that they will keep that for longterm...as basically 99% of kitcars could not be imported anymore.

does anybody know what the V5c of an actual westfield or caterham says under "tpe" or ""body type"?

loggyboy

posted on 16/3/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
If the car is imported does it not have German registration docs?
alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
the german registration documents are issued after the car has passed our MOT (Tüv). the tüv is responsible to "collect" all the data´s like weight, length, height, engine-power, suspension type, size and type of steering wheel, carburator make and size, exhaust type and style, brake-hose type (e.g. steel braided ones)...etc to issue a data sheet for the authorities.

but at first the Tüv checks the british V5c. if the car has a SABTVR chassisnumber--> car is declined
if its declared as "sports"--> according to the new regualtions--> declined at first, as long as you dont have enough prove
if its wrongly declared as 2 seater saloon, even the make (e.g. westfield) is correct--> declined or it needs a lot of goodwhill from the tester
if the chassisnmer starts wih SA and has 17digits, but the date of 1st reg is before 1981-->declined
if its registered after 1992 and has not a controlled catalytic cat, incl. original engine-management--> declined
(emmision-classification is made according to the reg-date not the engine age)

alfas

posted on 16/3/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
but back to the original question:

is there a definition what the DVLA means exactly with "Sports"..maybe i should write a letter to them?

eventually its possible to get our testers persuaded that "sports" is the corret word for such cars and therefore they will not decline the test.

loggyboy

posted on 16/3/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Getting a concise and accurate answer from the DVLA would be pretty much impossible!
adithorp

posted on 16/3/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
but back to the original question:

is there a definition what the DVLA means exactly with "Sports"..maybe i should write a letter to them?

eventually its possible to get our testers persuaded that "sports" is the corret word for such cars and therefore they will not decline the test.

As DVLA issue the V5c as "Sports" then that is the correct designation for an open topped kit car.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

KevinR

posted on 19/3/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Alfas,
As previous posters have said, the British DVLA have abused the "Sports" designation.
I have several Triumph Spitfires, and some are registered as "Convertables" some are registered as "sports", and one is even registered as a "coupe". I suspect that the difference is whether or not the car was originally delivered with a folding roof, a removable hardtop, or both.

What are MX-5's registered as ?

You can request the full British registration history of any car you own by filling in a V888 form and sending it to the DVLA (along with a small fee) It takes about a month to get a reply, and they send you prints of all the old V5s from all the previous owners, so you can prove the car was originally registered as "sports".

alfas

posted on 20/3/12 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KevinR
Alfas,
As previous posters have said, .the British DVLA have abused the "Sports" designation
I have several Triumph Spitfires, and some are registered as "Convertables" some are registered as "sports", and one is even registered as a "coupe". I suspect that the difference is whether or not the car was originally delivered with a folding roof, a removable hardtop, or both.

What are MX-5's registered as ?

You can request the full British registration history of any car you own by filling in a V888 form and sending it to the DVLA (along with a small fee) It takes about a month to get a reply, and they send you prints of all the old V5s from all the previous owners, so you can prove the car was originally registered as "sports".

the v888 seems to be a good idea. will try that with a car in the future.

"the British DVLA have abused the "Sports" designation"

i think that is the reason why our authorities are now acting so strict.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.