Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Marham track day noise limit
johncarman

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Marham track day noise limit

I am looking to do the upcoming track day at RAF Marham in a few weeks but I am a little ensure about whether my car will pass the noise restrictions, it is pretty loud (zx9r, stubby exhaust can). The limit for the track day is 105db at 45deg and 50cm at 2/3 revs, I tried it out with a free spl meter for the iPhone and at 7500 - 8000 steady revs the most I recorded was 99db, when giving it a bit of a rev it was hitting 104. I wonder if anyone has any experience with these iPhone apps, how accurate are they, or any experience with RAF marham, should i be worried about passing with these readings ?? Does anyone know if they have a drive by limit as well, it's not mentioned.

Thanks,

John

chrisxr2

posted on 23/3/12 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
they have a noise limit at an air base where tornados take of from, the same tornadoes you need to wear a belt to stop you kidneys getting damaged due to the vibration and noise, erm ok.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

locobladeracer

posted on 24/3/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried the Iphone app and found it to be, lets say not so good.

I race a blade engined locost as you might have guessed and I have had trouble with keeping the noise down with it. The exhaust needs to be packed just right to get it down to 101 Db and then I have suffered with problems on the drive buys.

I have a recorded 107Db at Castle Combe on the drive by where static it was 98Db. I am sure most of this was induction noise as I was not running an airbox at the time.

Who is the track day with?

You might want to get a bigger exhaust can for it.

Does it make your ears hurt when giving it max chat, whilst wearing a helmet. Normally a good indicator that its too loud it is.

[Edited on 24/3/12 by locobladeracer]

razza987

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Be aware that Marham is very bad on tyres and you will get very bad pebble-dashing if you're anywhere near the car in front.
Been there, done that.
(and I worked there for 9 years)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.