Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much paint?
medic_dan

posted on 25/3/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
How much paint?

Hello all,

Can anyone give me a ball park figure for how much paint/lacquer would be required for a locost sized car?

Specifically I want to spray the rear arches/front cycle wings one colour and the nose cone, bonnet, side panels and rear panel another colour.

I am hoping to have the car sprayed by a man that can and am souring the paint myself so need some idea on quantities.

Thanks

Dan

austin man

posted on 25/3/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
ask the man that can he can probably get the paint cheaper from his supplier too and possibly a better quality paint. Not all paints come to the same exacting standards your painter may have a preffered type of paint and therefore familiar with how it goes on. Best viscosity etc. PS he will also have the get out if there are imperfections, particles in it etc

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

sdh2903

posted on 25/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on the type of paint. I've just painted mine in cellulose, i layed on 1 coat of acid etch, 2 coats of filler/primer and a good 6 coats of top coat.

I bought 1l of etch, 2.5l of primer, 2.5l of gloss top coat, 5l of standard thinners and 5l of top gloss thinners.

Ive got loads of primer left so you might get away with 1l. Ive got approx 1/2 - 3/4 of a litre of gloss left but i did repaint the scuttle after cocking it up first time round. That was painting the main body, bonnet, nose cone, scuttle and rear wings.

If its a pro doing it they will prob want to use 2k or waterbased. With these im not sure on qty, you wouldnt prob need as much top coat, but you will need activator and or hardener depending on the paint.

I'm sure there will be a knowledgable paint person along shortly to give a more accurate answer

medic_dan

posted on 25/3/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The man that can is a sprayer at a train depot that has just had a booth fitted. He has permission to use the booth but obviously is unable to order the paint through the company for me - that's why I am sourcing it myself.
sdh2903

posted on 25/3/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Best to ask what paint he wants to use first
medic_dan

posted on 26/3/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ok folks, it'll be water based paint as that is what the booth is geared up for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.