Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel hose degradation
richard thomas

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel hose degradation

Not sure where to drop this post, not necessarily fuel injection as such but....

Advice for people still building, and indeed for those on the road....

Built car about 5 years ago, used steel braided rubber fuel hose bought from a major component supplier you see at the shows on a lot of the fuel system...

Had a brief look at putting the car back on the road last year, noticed some fuel seepage from 2 of the pipes...i put this down to excessive bend radius and resolved to replace....in the end work stopped play and the car sat dormant..

Tried to fire it up today, got some replacement hose for the bits i knew needed replacing....to cut a story short, the entire fuel hose run needs renewing....change one bit, another one leaks etc etc....not just injection high pressure lines, but even my low pressure swirl pot feed and return lines....

So....

Not having a go at a supplier....truth be known, cannot remember who it was....that's not the intention of this post......

BUT, if you are currently building i would advise that you ensure that you fit approved fuel line, not what may turn out to be water hose.....cos i think that's what i got.....

If you have already built, give the fuel lines a once over if you are bringing the car out for spring...it worried me exactly how much fuel was spewing out...just glad it didn't kick into life....

Cheers, rich.

andyfiggy2002

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
see here
and here

richard thomas

posted on 29/3/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyfiggy2002
see here
and here

Nice one....good gen for all i think...especially me....

I forgot to mention, my 90 degree fuel filler to tank pipe has split part way through also....not necessarily something everybody can easily see....shocked me a bit

Moorron

posted on 29/3/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I got tomorrow off to replace the small sections on my Range rover classic due to the hoses doing this after 3 years. Good job i spotted it, but not sure what to replace it with that i can get locally.

Default is to use the same stuff as i have plenty of it but just keep an eye on it.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

snapper

posted on 30/3/12 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
My braided hoses rotted and leaked the day befor SVA....PANIC....
I only ever use metal tube and proper rated fuel hose, if it worked on all my old tin tops for 10's of years it'll work on the kit.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

wombat

posted on 30/3/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yesterday I was offered r6 rubber fuel pipe, when I stated should be using r9, the guy behind the counter looked at me like I was an idiot. I came to the r9 solution after searching various threads on here. Am I wrong?
David Jenkins

posted on 2/4/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
You were absolutely correct - R6 is no good for modern fuel.

richard thomas

posted on 2/4/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
R9 is what i have re-plumbed mine with just today...hope it lasts longer than the last stuff....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.