Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stupid Sunday afternoon question
Snuggs

posted on 8/4/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid Sunday afternoon question

Are space saver wheels/tyres the same diameter as the standard wheel/tyre ?

They always seem to look a lot smaller

And before anyone asks, YES I have been to the pub

[Edited on 8/4/12 by Snuggs]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Slimy38

posted on 8/4/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
They have to be. Not only would it make the car unstable to have different tyre sizes on the same axle, it would also make things like traction control and ABS have a hissy fit if they were different.

The wheel is usually a lot smaller (11 or 12 inch wheels are common) but the tyre has a HUUUGE profile as well as being about half the diameter of a normal wheel.

bi22le

posted on 8/4/12 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Considerably thinner as well.

The diameter difference is probably an optical illusion, you have been down the pub!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

jacko

posted on 8/4/12 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
There not in a new Astra but you only fit them on the rear of the car [ swap rear wheel to front and fit spare on rear etc
and you can only do 50 mph on them
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 8/4/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Had saab 9000, fitted space saver and drove 60miles at 50mph on M1 It killed my diff, when i looked into in my space saver was about 2" smaller in height. So my planet gears in diff would have been working all the time, i think this boiled the oil.
morcus

posted on 9/4/12 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
Same for all cars, your only meant to use them on the rear. I assume it's because the car wouldn't steer propperly with the narrower wheels. Can you put them on Driven wheels though?

Do you actually need a spare wheel? All the advise from the DVLA or whoever seems to suggest that you'r not really meant to use it unless you've got a safe place to swap it over and you know exactly what your doing and everythings perfect.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've heard that from all sorts of sources, I'm 99% sure my insurance T & C's and my breakdown recovery T & C's both say don't change your wheel unless you're absolutely 100% sure and safe etc.

Mind you, the number of times I've seen people change a drivers side wheel on the side of a motorway, with their back side sticking out into the left hand lane, I think more manufacturers should just not give them a spare wheel!

rusty nuts

posted on 9/4/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think more manufacturers should just not give them a spare wheel!

Like the newFord Fiesta!

MikeRJ

posted on 9/4/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
They have to be. Not only would it make the car unstable to have different tyre sizes on the same axle, it would also make things like traction control and ABS have a hissy fit if they were different.

The wheel is usually a lot smaller (11 or 12 inch wheels are common) but the tyre has a HUUUGE profile as well as being about half the diameter of a normal wheel.

They can have a smaller rolling radius in some cases. My ZS180 comes with a 125/80R15 space saver, but the standard tyre size is 205/45R17. This gives a difference of about 6% in wheel speeds.

It only fits on the rear of the car though, as it won't fit over the brakes on the front.

[Edited on 9/4/12 by MikeRJ]

MikeRJ

posted on 9/4/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Same for all cars, your only meant to use them on the rear. I assume it's because the car wouldn't steer propperly with the narrower wheels. Can you put them on Driven wheels though?

Have a look at this video of Chris Harris driving an AMG Mercedes on 4 space savers

Peteff

posted on 9/4/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
There not in a new Astra but you only fit them on the rear of the car [ swap rear wheel to front and fit spare on rear etc
and you can only do 50 mph on them
Jacko

You can do 80mph on them in a Polo, the bloke who passed me on the M1 did anyway with a spacesaver on the front nearside and his wife and a baby in with him as well ( I assume they were his ).

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
That video is great, though not as good as when he took the BMW to Wank mountain.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

posted on 10/4/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Since occasionally I tow a car trailer I wouldn't want anything other than a matching wheel as a spare.

A few weeks back I bought a VW 9 spoke alloy off one of the eBay scrapies for my Passat
so I now have 5 matching wheels.

Cheers,
Paul G

loggyboy

posted on 10/4/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Have a look at this video of Chris Harris driving an AMG Mercedes on 4 space savers

Now thats why my old E30 316 was soo much fun!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.