Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ELM 327 OBD2 Scanner .... ARRRG
bonzoronnie

posted on 8/4/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
ELM 327 OBD2 Scanner .... ARRRG

Just wasted an afternoon trying to get an ELM 327 scanner talking to my Grandsons 2000 ( X ) plate Corsa B, 1.2 XE engine.

Nothing I try seems to work, all I get is errors telling me to check the port settings, unable to connect, make sure the ignition is on, make sure another device is not using the port & the likes.

I have 2 ELM 327 scanners, one with a USB lead & one with a serial lead to a serial/usb converter ( Lead known good as I use it with Mega squirt )

Software, ProScan 5.9 & ScanTool.net

Tried 1 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium & 1 running Windows XP Pro.

Downloaded the latest virtual serial port drivers from the ProScan site & have tried the drivers from Microsoft.

Had these ELM scanners for a few years now & have yet to find a car that either of them work on despite having 16 pin OBD sockets

Starting to wonder if these scanners are actually any real use ?

Do any folk on here manage to use an ELM 327 scanner successfully because it is most likely down to me being too dim to use one

Just in case you are wondering, the check engine light is on & the cars due for MOT ( Car seems to be running fine )

Cleaned the EGR unit, replaced the Lambda sensor & replaced the broken gearbox speed sensor, alas, the light is still on.

Not even got a clue if a 2000 Corsa B is even OBD2 complaint

Any thoughts would be most welcome

austin man

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Normally when using the USB port you have to configure the port setting many of these readers look for com port 1 as their preffered port. Usually have to change this in the settings menu

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

woolly

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
as i understand it X reg is probably not compliant 03/04 on wards
Thinking about it

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cant say about the Corsa but I have used this software to check for faults and turn off the lights on OBD11 vehicles with an ELM
http://www.myscantool.com/downloads.php

Just noticed same software.

[Edited on 8/4/12 by Thinking about it]

NigeEss

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I heard Vauxhall were a bit stubborn with the OB\d compliance on quite a few earlier
cars so despite having a port it doesn't work with a lot of the cheaper scanners.

I was told this by the local Mac Tools dealer when I complained my scanner didn't read
Vauxhalls.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

bonzoronnie

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Normally when using the USB port you have to configure the port setting many of these readers look for com port 1 as their preffered port. Usually have to change this in the settings menu

Cheers for that

One scanner comes up as com port 3 & the other comes up as com port 4 ( Verified in the PCs device manager )

ProScan 5.9 auto detects them both on the correct port at a baud rate 9600 & I manually configure the ScanTool software.

I am still sure, it's just me being a dim old fart

ReMan

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I ended up on COM7 I think, mine is a serial
But works with my saab the yaris and the new beetle.
In fact I cant look at it because I leant it to my daughter last night to scan her beetle and she worked it!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bonzoronnie

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the swift reply's chaps

You are probably right re: the non compliance aspect & I must admit, all the cars tried thus far have been borderline ones.

98 Mazda 626
98 & 99 Peugeot
99 Astra
2000 Corsa

That's the trouble with us poor old folk down in the deepest parts of the West Country.

All of those cars on the list are kind of brand new to us

NigeEss

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
The same chap also said that some manufacturers cut some of the wires to the port
when they were imported to the UK.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Slimy38

posted on 8/4/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
From memory, OBDII only became a standard in 2001, although earlier cars can sometimes be compatible. But I thought early Vauxhalls use the 'flashing light' method of engine fault scanning? Have a look here to see if it makes sense;

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

stevebubs

posted on 9/4/12 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall of that vintage will most likely need a custom scanner... my Omega certainly does....
britishtrident

posted on 9/4/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
It should be OBDII compliant I have used a Memoscan U581 on a 3 cylinder petrol Corsa of this age without problem also an Autel hand held unit.

Counterfeit ELM327 are notoriously iffy but usually the problem is coms between the car ECU and the Elm327 interface not between the PC and the interface if the PC is running Xp.

Often on older Vauxhall Corsa faults that trigger a DTC are wiring related,

If unable to read the codes I would start by using a good multimeter to look at the upstream lambda output voltage and heater circuit.

[Edited on 9/4/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bonzoronnie

posted on 10/4/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all of your input folks

BT

Yes that's what I thought the moment I saw the 16 pin OBD socket.

You did inspire me to go out & have another crack at the Vauxhall.

Certainly agree with you on the cheapo ELM clones out there, probably are very hit & miss.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Not a lot of progress to report but I did find one issue with the ELM 327 scanner & software.

Told you all that I was a bit dim, well I didn't realise that the scanner had the data transfer rate written on it

Baud rate of the ELM was 38400 & the ProScan software was detecting it correctly.
I then went into the windows device manager & checked the port settings, com port was set to a baud rate of 9600

Got that issue sorted but still no joy reading the Vauxhall, I now get an error telling me to check that the vehicle is OBD compliant.
When I try to connect, all of the ELM's leds flash away as if talking to the ECU after a while I get the message above.

Sort of come to the conclusion that Vauxhall must use a protocol that the ELM 327 can't read.

Going to give a cheapo Vauxhall scanner a try & have sent for one.

I do have some good news to report however

Got my daily driver sitting in the drive, a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.5 TD.
I know the Americans switched to OBD2 a lot sooner than europe so went out to have a look for 16 pin OBD socket.
Sure enough, there it was, rigt at the bottom of the drivers side dash ( Just above the pedals )

Went in & grabbed the laptop, plugged the ELM in, fired the ProScan software up.
Pleased to report that I was able to make a connection & was able to have a delve into things
So at least I know the scanner will work with my own vehicle

Not that I expected it but no fault codes were shown or have been logged for the Cherokee & for just an instant I did think , Hey I'll create some.
Common sense kicked in & decided to leave well alone

I'll keep you all posted if I make any progress with the Vauxhall.

bonzoronnie

posted on 12/4/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
In conclusion

Just thought I would bring this thread to a conclusion.

The Op-Com diagnostic reader arrived this morning ( Ebay jobby )

Installed the software & drivers on my laptop.

Went out to the Corsa B, hooked it up & read the fault codes.
The only fault code showing was one relating to a faulty speed sensor.

I knew the gearbox speed sensor was faulty & had already swapped that out for a replacement.

Cleared the fault code, started the engine & hey presto, engine management light now off.

Took the car for a quick spin, light stayed off, hooked up the diagnostic tester again, no fault codes showing.

I guess the jobs done & dusted

well worth the £19 + postage .... Garage would have charged a lot more than this to put the light out + another gadget for my collection.

You never know, this thread may be of use to someone in the future

Once again, many thanks to all for their help

[Edited on 12/4/12 by bonzoronnie]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.