Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: whats the best motor sport to go and watch?
morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
whats the best motor sport to go and watch?

As per title really. I've never been to see any kind of sporting event to my knowledge and I'd like to go and see some and maybe take my dad for his birthday. I thought about going over to Spa to watch F1 but I've heard it's not that great in person.

I'm up for any suggestions, please take into account value for money as well as outright excitment. For the moment UK based ideas are prefered, I'd love to go and watch 24 hours at Le Mans or Nurburgring but it's just not practical.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

AntonUK

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
i used to got to a couple of rounds of the BTCC which is always a good weekend out... pick your track tho... avoid donnington and snetterton...

Build Photos Here

morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Would you reccomend Brands Hatch as I see they're back there in october? I considered going to other week for the start as I got a random sunday off but I didn't wake up in time.

Jon Ison

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
proper banger racing, great entertainment, the speed some of the guys pile in at these days scares me and Ive driven in a fair few banger races in my time.

Pick a big meeting, you will love it.

T66

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen the touring cars a few times, which also has the Clio cup,Porsche cup etc and is a good day out if the weather is good.

The best racing Ive seen has been rallycross , no messing about, plenty contact and fast. Both have open pits and the teams are on the whole friendly and happy to chat etc.

The drag racing is impressive if you pick a decent meet, ie top fuel/funny cars. I quite fancy one of the historic meets at some point.

Also hillclimbing ?

morcus

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd thought about Hill climbing and Rallycross but the probelm is I could find event but I've got no idea what specific events will be like. With that kind of thing do you just sort of turn up?

Benzine

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
VSCC events are awesome, I find. The noise on the starting grid when it's a race with cars with 10+ litre engines is amazing.

http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccweb/events/events.jsp?action=1

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I love British hill climb championship rounds. All sorts of cars to get close to an snoop around. And lots of runs to watch if you make morning practice sessions

twybrow

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Goodwood FOS? You get a bit of all of the above, and more!
kendo

posted on 10/4/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Another good one is Sporting trials. Lots of events throughout the country, through the year with a break in the summer.

It's nice and informal and friendly and they even run experience days that you can have a go your self. It is surprisingly addictive.

http://www.sportingtrials.com/

http://www.btrda.com/

Simon

posted on 10/4/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Truck racing at Brands in November. Went to the first Truck SuperPrix there in '87 and again 4 or 5 years back. Awesome spectacle, close fast racing and one hell of a bang if it goes pearshaped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wholkmfRK6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV8POh2LW4U

Oh yeah, and smog like you wouldn't believe

I'm gonna try and get there again this year!

ATB

Simon

T66

posted on 10/4/12 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
for rallycross, European event on the 19th April !

http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/

[Edited on 10/4/12 by T66]

Simon

posted on 11/4/12 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Er, Euro Rallycross was last weekend - 8th - 9th. Sorry

ATB

Simon

franky

posted on 11/4/12 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
The best racing in the UK isn't on 4 wheels, its on 2. Get yourself to a WSB round or to cadwell for the British superbikes(BSB). Proper racing, lots of overtakes. Great value for money.
lewis

posted on 11/4/12 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
British gt racing is a great weekend,or historic f1 both seen at brands last year and have great support races too.
Off to lemans this year so looking forward to that.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/4/12 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for BTCC (plenty of supporting races such as Ginetta G50s and G55s, Porsche etc.) and also BSB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

scudderfish

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Something at Mallory Park. Pick the right spot and you can see just about the whole track.
JeffHs

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for hill climb. Shelsley Walsh meeting with all classes gives you a view of fabulous machinery from pre-war to present day, and you can wander round the paddocks (like old school bike sheds)
loggyboy

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
brands is always a good track to watch anything, the natural bowl means you can pretty much see the whole undying circuit, especially from the stand at the top of paddock hill.
as for f1, if you haven't seen it live then its defo worth seeing and hearing it live. its amazing, the sound and atmosphere is like no other event I've seen b4. go to one thatd likey to have a good weather tho, as it may make an exciting armchair race, its much nicer to walk the track on a sunny day!

zetec

posted on 11/4/12 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Went to our first rallycross meeting over Easter with my son, one of the best race days I've been to as loads of short fast action packed racing. There are a few European rounds that sound good.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

r1_pete

posted on 11/4/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with Franky, WSB, BSB and Supersports, plenty of edge of your seat action, especially Supersports, they are all so eager to get to Superbikes they are really going for it!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Brian R

posted on 11/4/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Come to Brands Hatch for the 750MC race weekend April 28th and 29th.

Good close racing and not far from you.

hughpinder

posted on 11/4/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'd give another vote for Goodwood - festival of speed or revival.
Regards
Hugh

MikeR

posted on 11/4/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've taken past girlfriends to watch banger and oval track racing. Both (different girls) enjoyed the experience, loud, fast and close racing. Banger racing was a giggle because it was into the evening with a few drinks and proper seats (Coventry - not the best place in the world). You couldn't help laugh at a herse driving around about 4 feet shorter than it started.

I also like Mallory, you do get to see the whole race if you want. if you move to a different spot its not a long walk.

I've been to a hill climb and loved sitting (Shelsy?) on a really a lazy day in the sun watching pre war cars race past. The noise is amazing (also seen similar cars at Mallory and the sound of a massive unsilenced engine, 2m from me at full chat still stays with me 10 years on)

Fizzer

posted on 11/4/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for anything at Brands Hatch, great circuit to watch. Don't forget that if your Dad likes looking at cars close up then smaller race weekends/days are a must. Walking round the paddock and gawping at the cars is great fun.
750 motor club do very varied days and there are a lot of folk on these boards who participate.

Also, I've been to goodwood revival, it's great. Loads of proper vintage cars (and racers) - I imagine the FoS is equally as amazing.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.