Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: handbrake?
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/04 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
handbrake?

i am nterested to know what people have done in relation to handbrake? on middys

front wheeled handbrakes?
extra spot calipers on rear(both wheels or one)?

or somthing different?

i am using the front engine and gearbox combination from a daewoo nubira, it had been suggested that i could use the rear calipers on the front discs, at the rear (if you know what i mean) but the way the handbrake works would prevents this

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

kb58

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
This probably doesn't apply to you (or anyone needed to go through inspection,) but I drove a car for years without one. Never had a problem, either pointing the wheels into the curb, and/or leaving it in gear. Even my new car's handbrake hardly works...

In a case where you *have* to have one, how about welding a bracket to the upright (front or rear axle) and adding one of the small single-puck brake calipers. Outside-the-box-thinking would include putting a real small brake disk and caliper on the *inboard* CV cup of one of the axles. This'll work even better if the car has a LSD.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
good idea, a moped brake disc and caliper or somthing like that, don't have lsd though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Viper

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not for a middy but front engine rear wheel drive

how about the same idea but instead of on the drive shaft put the disc on the prop???

with a middy,,,whats to stop you putting a disc on each drive shaft??

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
could you use sierra or simular rear calipers with an adaptor, this would have to be made of course, golf ?

worth a look maybe..........

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
making adapter is not a problem i assume you mean use a caliper with in built handbrake function? any recomendations while i am at it should i change the discs aswell i think they are vented jobbies from the abs daewoo as i will have mega brakes form the daewoo on the back and bog standard tinas up fron

any news on the name of that supplier for poly rod jon?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Viper

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
What rear end are you using?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 27/8/04 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
do you mean suspension wise?

custom wishbones, i havn't worked it all out at the rear yet.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

turbo time

posted on 28/8/04 at 03:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I have the same problem...don't know what to do about a handbrake, I'm not sure I really need one, but it would be nice if I were to install a turbo timer or remote start when the car has to be in neutral.....hey it's gonna be my daily driver

But I have a good plan involving a length of rope and a big heavy brick

Alan B

posted on 28/8/04 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Guys check out this old thread on the subject...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=2081

One of the first threads in the section..

Peteff

posted on 28/8/04 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Someone mentioned Alfasud.

The last post in that thread suggests the aforementioned. I had one and the discs were inboard on the gearbox before the uj. The handbrake was a joke, I'd have slowed the car down quicker in an emergency by waving my hand out of the window.

[Edited on 28/8/04 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ned

posted on 31/8/04 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
you can get a small spot calpier from wilwood/rally design which si a little mechanical caliper, mount a disc on the inboard driveshaft end as already mentioned..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

gys

posted on 13/9/04 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know where you can get the Brembo mechanical calipers for a reasonable price? Tried the Ferrari dealer since they use them, but they charge $$$. Or an alternative that can run 22-25 mm wide discs... Wilwood has 20.6 mm max I believe.

I've got Porsche Monobloc 4-pot calipers for all around, but normally a drum brake within the disc is used for the e-brake. That's unfortunately no option with the uprights.

The inboard calipers are a bit hard since I will certainly have some clearance problems. Secondly I don't like the idea of adding extra mass (translation + rotation) while there already is a disc that is perfectly suitable for the job.

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

MrFluffy

posted on 13/9/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Handbrake calipers

Might be of interest, some motorbikes use mechanical disc calipers (honda cb100n, and some bigger ones too) and while they are mostly not very efficient, they would serve the purpose of a handbrake caliper and are self adjusting (but you could defeat that if undesired).
Also, they dont use 20mm thick discs, but the design of them is such that its a easy job to make a thicker spacer between the caliper halves and space them to suit..
On thinking about it, if you dont have one handy it might be more trouble than its worth

ned

posted on 13/9/04 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
just to reiterate the serperate spot caliper idea, we had a crawl over an 04 db9 at our reent newlands meet and spotted a spot caliper for the handbrake in addition to the humoungous 4pot aston martin rear brake calipers..

beware, I've got yellow skin

gys

posted on 14/9/04 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche uses them also on the Carrera GT, I've seen them on the DB Vanquish, Spyker C8, and I believe they are also used on the Gallardo, some Ultimas and some Lotus Esprits...

Movit uses them as well in their BBK rear kits. But is no company selling them separately?

As an E-brake they should be able to stop the car with a reasonable deceleration I think and whether a motorcycle brake is capable of stopping a 1200 kg (incl. driver, passenger, luggage) car then I doubt...
Has someone experience with the motorbike brakes on ventilated discs under circumstances mentioned above?

[Edited on 14/9/04 by gys]

Man kann ein Auto nicht wie ein menschliches Wesen behandeln – ein Auto braucht Liebe...

violentblue

posted on 14/9/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
on my VW beetle witha porsche gearbox, I'm mounting another disc inboardbetween the output flange and cv joint, with a caliper from my old jetta GLI (has mechanical pull for e-brake)
a single disc should be alright shouldn't it? otherwise I could do the second one the same way.

a few pics of my other projects

gys

posted on 14/9/04 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Inboard is difficult since the differential housing is wider than the flange (measured from a vertical plane through the input shaft) on the left site...

I have the original Girling 43 rear calipers, but I don't fancy using them along the 4-pots (rather heavy)...

Spyderman

posted on 15/9/04 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue
on my VW beetle witha porsche gearbox, I'm mounting another disc inboardbetween the output flange and cv joint, with a caliper from my old jetta GLI (has mechanical pull for e-brake)
a single disc should be alright shouldn't it? otherwise I could do the second one the same way.

Nope, you will need to fit the second one or it will only brake the one wheel!

Terry

Spyderman

violentblue

posted on 16/9/04 at 02:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
quote:
Originally posted by violentblue

Nope, you will need to fit the second one or it will only brake the one wheel!

Terry

true, but if its only for an e-brake, then its not too big of a deal, still got the porsche brakes outboard, just going inboard (to avoid the nasty design of the porsche e-brake, you know the drum within the disc) with the parking brake.

a few pics of my other projects

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/9/04 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
i still don't know what to do?

either mount a spot caliper on the existing disc

OR

put small moped disk and caliper inboard on the cv joint

Does it have to brake both sides or just one with respect to SVA?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

turbo time

posted on 16/9/04 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Lookadiss, I just found it (bottom of the page) I think it's perfect, wouldn't help you in an emergency situation if the regular brakes failed, but it'd pass inspection and work for parking:

http://www.4agte.com/suspension_page.htm

Hugh Jarce

posted on 16/9/04 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
There are plenty of small mechanical callipers around, but these Airheart callipers offer the largest number of variations. The lever can be orientated in a number of positions and there are clockwise and anti-clockwise variants.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 16/9/04 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
i am pretty sure that you have tyo have a mechanical "e-brake" to pass our SVA test

i am leaning toward spot caliper but do i need to do both back wheels?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

gys

posted on 16/9/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Installing a "line lock" is easier for the parking brake...

But I don't get away with that...
(hydraulic handbrake operating the same calipers neither)

The Airheart callipers are rather small

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.