Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: do these things even work?
blakep82

posted on 13/4/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
do these things even work?

SOLAR POWER CAR PANEL BATTERY TRICKLE CHARGER 12V 1.5W | eBay

seems cheap enough, but will it actually do anything?
just thinking for when the car's sitting in the garage unused over winter for example, could stick this in the garage window to keep the battery charged, and hopefully still it killing the battery?
i'm not planning on using expensive batteries anyway, cheapest i can find will do me, but if this can help it last a few years longer... maybe even put one on the back of the car to keep the battery charged?

anyone tried and failed? or tried and won?

[Edited on 13/4/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
We use one to keep the 12v battery charged for the horse field electric fencing. Seems to make the battery hold charge for several weeks rather than just 10 days or so. Bearing in mind that the horse's fence is always on, I guess in a car that was using no power (i.e. in winter storage) it would be fine for keeping it topped up?

HTH

[Edited on 13/4/12 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

elwood_106

posted on 13/4/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I use a similar one on the VortX and it's kept that topped up over the winter, am quite pleased with it.

Cheers,
Will

Cubby

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for money well spent . Started Luego for the first time since October battery was well charged.
designer

posted on 13/4/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I use them on my cars whenever they are stood for a while. I have had cars stood for months and have cranked over and started. A good investment.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 13/4/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
i bought one and use it to charge my car battery. it works well. i got one a bit cheaper on the bay....

worth it. now use it to keep my mums caravan battery full.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 13/4/12 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
awesome, expected they would cost a lot more to be a decent charging effort, and for this money thought it would be crap.
will get one in a few weeks then. wiring loom getting measured up next week, mega excited, and will need a battery, don't want it dead before i even get to IVA!
Thank you everyone!

[Edited on 13/4/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

steve m

posted on 13/4/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one to keep the caravan battery in full charge over the winter,
i also leave it plugged into the 7 when ive got the garge door up, and the sun is on the car

For me, its a cool piece of kit, and mine is identical to that ebay link

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.