Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zzr1100 gearbox replacement...OMG
jossey

posted on 15/4/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
zzr1100 gearbox replacement...OMG

after a rather emotional motivational speach from Mark at mac1 i decided on starting the gear box replacement. So all was well till i started reading the haynes manual. Im pretty sure the Rating of difficultly is based on 1 spanner is easy 2 spanners is hard and 5 spanners means that even kawasaki would write it off at that point.

So to remove the gearbox you need to drain oil and water (normally on the desk your working on and the floor. not to mention the rest on your hands and jumper :O)

well after i removed everything off the engine i followed the 1000000 page guide to taking the gearbox out. so haynes manual says i need to remove the clutch which im sure i dont need to but i did anyway.

then it tells you to remove the gear selector arm thing and the springs.... sorted THEN it tells you not to mix them up. GREATTTTT maybe warm me before i put them in the I DROPPED A BOLLOK BOX.....

anyway the old engine is stripped and its was done in a few hours which is ok i guess but a rebuild will not be fun.

ANYWHOOO. its not easy so if you need to replace it due to the 2nd gear issues then bin it and buy a new one lol

DAVE J

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 15/4/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Gearboxes all tend to come out/apart/etc. in the same way on split crankcases. All very similar setups, gear selector drum, forks, etc. Yep, it's a pain, now try and do it in the back of a Transit, poorly lit at night... just to get at a burnt to death central fork.

More recent engines, particularly in the smaller (racing) one litre bikes, now have cassette gearboxes. I don't have one (I have the split-the-crankcases GSXR/R1 variety), but it you go that way it all looks very much easier on paper.

I've just replaced the R1 clusters and drum on a 5VY that exploded without warning up Avon Rise a couple of weeks ago.

Fowlers are your new friends!

Slimy38

posted on 15/4/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had to do the same job on my Thundercat engine (Yamaha 600). The gearbox case does actually split into two halves, and anyone with a bit of sense would make sure the two halves are bolted together from the outside. But no, to get to the gears you have to start at the camshaft cover!

It took me two days in total to replace the relevant parts to fix the second gear issue. Roughly one day down and one day back. And then a quick trip to the local engineers to remove and helicoil a couple of broken exhaust studs!

blakep82

posted on 15/4/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
rule 1 of the instructions, always read BEFORE starting any work
hope it all works out!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

jossey

posted on 15/4/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
They are a pain :-)

Rule 1 noted down :-)

Thanks

David Johnson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ginger ninja

posted on 22/4/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
indeed

spare a thought, in my haste I stripped the box, following the said manual, and managed to put it all back together at great expense, only to find it was the starter motor which outwardly looked fine but upon inspection was totalled internally. Bugger...I believe this is what is referred to as cheque book education.

jossey

posted on 22/4/12 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Ok you win lol....,

Thanks

David Johnson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.